Man died after taking eight ecstasy tablets
A YOUNG man died after taking up to eight ecstasy tablets at a friend's apartment, an inquest has heard.
Darryl Mahon (20) died in the early hours of July 11 last year, having crushed and ingested the tablets with friends.
The court heard that four people including Mr Mahon were at an apartment in Hazelbrook Court, Tallaght, when the incident happened.
One of those present gave a statement to gardai but failed to turn up for yesterday's hearing.
In her deposition read out in court, Cathy Nolan said she was at home with her boyfriend, another girl and the deceased when they started to take ecstasy.
She claimed to have seen Mr Mahon taking "about four" ecstasy tablets and said that she kept telling him to stop taking them.
"We were all in the living room at this point talking and having a laugh," she said.
"At about 2am, Darryl started to sweat a lot and turn white. A few minutes later he was lying on the couch with his eyes open but wasn't responding to us when we called him," she said.
They called an ambulance and started to perform CPR. When paramedics arrived on the scene the deceased was unresponsive and was later pronounced dead at Tallaght Hospital.
Investigating Garda Patrick Hanley said that medical staff had been told on admission that Mr Mahon had taken up to eight ecstasy tablets, crushing them up two at a time and then ingesting them.
Gardai went to the address where Mr Mahon, from Glenview Park in Tallaght, was treated by paramedics but could not gain entry.
They intend to make further enquiries related to messages left on Mr Mahon's mobile phone following the conclusion of the inquest, Garda Hanley said.
The postmortem found a low level of alcohol in Mr Mahon's system at the time of death but MDMA -- commonly known as ecstasy -- was present.
The cause of death was given as MDMA toxicity.
Coroner Dr Brian Farrell returned a verdict of death by misadventure.