Wednesday 22 May 2019

Man beaten by teen gang as he walked from work

Garda Doyle said CCTV footage was viewed which showed the defendant pocketing the money. (stock photo)
Garda Doyle said CCTV footage was viewed which showed the defendant pocketing the money. (stock photo)

A man was rushed to hospital after he was attacked by a gang of teenagers as he walked home from work.

Up to four thugs were involved in the senseless attack in the Lucan area of Dublin.

The 31-year-old victim was walking through the Castle Riada area, near the Penny Hill pub, when he was set upon by the gang at 4.30pm on Wednesday. He was repeatedly punched in the face before the gang ran away.

Emergency services were alerted and the man was taken to Connolly Hospital. He is expected to make a full recovery.

Gardai are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to contact them at Lucan Garda Station.

Local councillors said they are being contacted regularly by concerned residents who fear the number of attacks carried out by teenagers is on the rise.

"It's not the only attack to have happened in the area over the past week," said Independent councillor Liona O'Toole.

"It's frightening to see these incidents escalating in the area.

"We need more measures in place to diminish and reduce the number of incidents we're experiencing now."

Cllr Paul Gogarty said he had heard reports of gangs from outside the area coming in and carrying out assaults on local residents.

"Attacks on teenagers are on the rise in the area," he told the Herald. "There was an attack on a bus recently, and an attack on teenagers waiting for a bus.


"It's worth pointing out that a while back in Palmerston there were roaming gangs.

"The community guard at the time said these gangs weren't actually from the area, but were coming from outside the city."

In a separate incident, gardai in Lucan are investigating an attempted burglary at a house in the Meile an Ri estate on Tuesday night.

A gardai spokesperson said Ronanstown Garda Station was investigating the incident, which occurred shortly after 4am. Gardai attended the scene.

It is understood nothing was taken, no arrests have yet been made and gardai are continuing investigations into the incident.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News