Tuesday 19 March 2019

Man and woman are arrested over death of 10-week-old baby girl

Tragic baby Doriana Kluska died in Temple Street Children’s Hospital on June 4, 2017
Tragic baby Doriana Kluska died in Temple Street Children’s Hospital on June 4, 2017

A man and woman were arrested at separate locations yesterday in relation to the death of a 10-week-old baby girl last June.

The pair were being questioned under legislation concerning "assault causing harm" and are expected to be released this morning from Longford Garda Station, after being interviewed by specialist officers.

A file will then be prepared for the DPP in relation to the death of Doriana Kluska, of Cloondara, Longford, who died in Temple Street Children's Hospital on June 4, 2017.


It is understood the child died from blunt force trauma to the head.

The baby girl was found with serious injuries at her home.

She was subsequently rushed to hospital but passed away some time later.

The male and female arrested are Polish nationals who are known to gardai.

Since the child's death is suspicious, the child welfare agency Tusla has been involved in the case.

"The man, who is in his early 30s, was arrested in Naas, Co Kildare," a garda spokeswoman said yesterday.

"The woman, who is aged in her early 20s, was arrested in Dublin early yesterday morning".

Both were taken to Longford Garda Station, where they were detained under Section Four of Criminal Justice Act 1984.

Gardai had been investigating the baby's death for close to a year before the arrests yesterday morning and have said that their investigation is ongoing.

Last July, the Herald covered the adjourned inquest into the child's death at Dublin Coroner's Court.

It heard she died from a bleed to her brain.

Doriana lived in Aghnagone, Cloondara, Co Longford.

At the opening of the inquest into her death at Dublin Coroner's Court, it was heard that a post-mortem carried out by Deputy State Pathologist Linda Mulligan had found the cause of death to be an acute subdural haemorrhage.

The child's body was formally identified to Garda Michael Guihan, of Mountjoy Garda Station, by her mother, Donata Pleszynska, on the day of her death.

Inspector Mick Mulligan sought a six-month adjournment of the inquest "to facilitate ongoing enquiries" into the matter.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News