herald

Sunday 20 October 2019

Man accused of €8.5k social welfare theft surrenders bail

Leendert Stolk is facing the possibility of further charges
Leendert Stolk is facing the possibility of further charges

An Englishman accused of stealing large sums in social welfare payments has surrendered his bail and gone into custody.

Judge David McHugh remanded Leendert Stolk (50) in custody with consent to bail to appear before Cloverhill Court next month.

The accused, of Coppice Road, Worthing, Sussex, app-eared before Blanchardstown District Court charged with numerous counts of theft.

The alleged thefts took place at An Post, Blanchardstown; Mulhuddart Post Office; and the Social Welfare Office, Snugborough Road, on dates between 2011 and 2017, and involved the theft of rent all- owance and social welfare allowances.

To date, Mr Stolk is charged with stealing an estimated €8,500 in welfare payments. The court was told the allegations involved an estimated total of €226,000.

Anxious

The court previously heard the accused had been abiding by strict bail conditions.

Defence solicitor Simon Fleming said Mr Stolk was surrendering his bail and wished to be remanded in custody.

The court previously heard he was anxious for the case to progress, as he was living with his sister in Ballymun while his wife was in the UK.

Gardai said the file contained 850 exhibits, was not yet with the DPP and further charges were pending.

Mr Stolk has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charges.

Legal aid has not yet been granted after gardai raised questions about the accused's means.

The court was told previously that Mr Stolk had no money, no assets, was unemployed and not in receipt of social welfare, but gardai sought vouching statements.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News