Tuesday 12 December 2017

Major drug dealer shot six times at point blank range in packed city bar

It is understood that Alan was officially warned by gardai -- within the last month -- that there was an active threat against his life.

He had been involved in a bitter dispute with an older Finglas criminal who has survived a pub assassination attempt himself.

A source explained: "This was a completely brutal murder -- the victim was shot dead in a very targeted manner.

"It caused huge trauma to the people who were in the pub at the time.


"The gunman acted in a very calm and calculated way. Gardai believe that the motive for the murder is linked to the drugs trade in Finglas."

The masked gunman is described as being of slim build, six foot in height and was wearing a blue or navy jacket with a red collar, a blue or navy hoodie, with the hood up, black track suit bottoms with white stripes at the bottom, white runners, gloves and a scarf.

Gardai were at the scene within seconds after receiving a number of panicked emergency calls and Alan McNally's body was brought to Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown where he was pronounced dead at 1.30am.

The pub had been full of people -- many of whom had been drinking after a local Traveller funeral in the locality.

The victim was in jail when his brother Graham was murdered just over two years ago after he had a falling out with his former close associate Eamon Dunne who had suspected that he was trying to murder him. Graham McNally's body was found in a ditch at Coldwinters townsland on the former Dublin to Derry road -- he had been shot at least five times in the head.

At the time, his younger brother Alan was serving a jail sentence in Mountjoy which had been imposed after he and two of his associates were caught with €196,000 worth of heroin at Springdale Road, Raheny on March 3, 2006 after a major operation by the Garda National Drugs Unit.

The hearing at Dublin Circuit Court heard that McNally had managed an aftercare programme for addicts for some years after rehabilitating himself in 2001 but relapsed into drug addiction again in 2006 because of a lack of financial and other supports.


However gardai were always "sceptical" of the programme that McNally ran.

McNally -- who had a large number of previous convictions -- also received a two-year sentence after his hand got trapped in a till during a botched raid of a shop in Kells, Co Meath, in September 2007.

In August 1994, McNally was aged just 18 when he survived after being shot twice in a pub in Upper Dorset Street.

It is understood that he was drinking this morning with three of his associates in the Cappagh Nua pub when he was shot dead.

Sources say that McNally had spent most of the day in the pub and that earlier he had been drinking with well-known local criminal Gary Thompson from Plunkett Avenue.

The scene of the shooting at the An Cappagh Nua pub remained sealed off today pending a forensic examination by members of the garda technical bureau.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News