Tuesday 19 February 2019

Machete killers 'wanted victim's children to see his murder', wife reveals

Elzbieta Wilk with husband Micholaj, who was murdered at their Cork home
Elzbieta Wilk with husband Micholaj, who was murdered at their Cork home

The wife of machete murder victim Micholaj Wilk is out of hospital and "recovering well" from her injuries.

The Herald understands that Elzbieta Wilk, who sustained serious injuries after she and her husband were attacked at their home in Cork, was discharged from hospital on Saturday.

The gruesome attack on the family took place on the previous Sunday morning, as a gang of up to four men burst down the door of the family home on the rural outskirts of Ballincollig.

Mr Wilk, a Polish national, sustained multiple stab wounds to his head, hands and torso in the attack.


His wife underwent an operation on her hand and arm last week, after losing movement in three of her fingers.

Polish chaplain for Cork, Father Piotr Galus, who met Ms Wilk in hospital last week, said she told of how the gang wanted the couple's children to witness the murder.

"They wanted the children to witness what they were doing," Fr Galus said.

"She tried to protect them and hide from the gang, but she heard them say they wanted to bring the children in to witness the killing.

"She was beaten on her face and her head as she tried to protect them and she was struck with a weapon causing a very deep cut on her hand."

Ms Wilk is said to be intent on moving her family back to Poland following the horrific ordeal.

The attack is understood to have taken place between 2am and 4am on June 10.

A burnt-out BMW 3-Series was found around 6km from the family home, with a handgun located inside.

Yesterday morning gardai conducted a search along the route near the area of Waterfall in the hope of finding evidence that may have been discarded out of the window of the getaway vehicle.

However, the Herald has been told nothing was found in this search.

Gardai also issued an appeal for a taxi driver who dropped off two women from a pub in the Wilton area, to separate locations in Waterfall between midnight and 12.30am that night, to get in touch.

"A number of people have come forward with information to date and gardai wish to thank the public for their assistance in the investigation so far," a spokesman said.


"However, gardai wish to continue to appeal to taxi and hackney drivers that were operating in the Maglin, Ballincollig, Ballinora and Waterfall areas on the night of the incident, who have not yet come forward, to do so urgently.

"In particular, they wish to speak to a driver who picked up three women at a pub in the Wilton area through a booking on a taxi app and drove to Waterfall, dropping two of the women along the way," he added.

It's understood that the two women have provided information to the gardai.

Gardai are probing if the burnt-out car was in the area at the time of the women being dropped off - which was around two hours before the attack took place.

A memorial Mass in the family's hometown of Ballincollig took place on Saturday night.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News