Sunday 19 November 2017

Lorcan (21) knifed to death as he tried to stop a fight

Five men stabbed in night of Halloween horror

Gardai and forensic experts comb the scene at the Oliver Bond Street flats complex where Lorcan O’Reilly was fatally stabbed
Lorcan O’Reilly

A young man was stabbed to death in a city centre flats complex during Halloween night mayhem that saw five other knife attacks across the capital.

It's believed that Lorcan O'Reilly (21) was trying to stop a fight that had broken out at Oliver Bond flats in the south inner city at about 2.30am on Sunday

He received a single stab wound to the heart and was rushed to St James's Hospital but he was pronounced dead a short time later.

No arrests have yet been made in relation to the killing.

Sources have revealed that gardai are investigating if the stabbing was carried out by a 15-year-old boy who has links to gangland figure 'Fat' Freddie Thompson.

Gardai and forensic experts comb the scene at the Oliver Bond Street flats complex where Lorcan O’Reilly was fatally stabbed
Gardai and forensic experts comb the scene at the Oliver Bond Street flats complex where Lorcan O’Reilly was fatally stabbed


Detectives were last night attempting to make contact with the chief suspect, but local reports indicate that he may have already fled abroad.

The teenager and his juvenile associates have been involved in a number of violent incidents across the south inner city over the past year.

A family friend described Lorcan - nicknamed 'Squeaky' by his pals - as "a great young man", adding that his loved ones have been left devastated by his death.

"You couldn't say anything bad about Lorcan, he was a great young man who wouldn't hurt a fly. All he was trying to do was stop a fight from happening, and his family have been left absolutely distraught," they told the Herald.

Lorcan lived in Robert Emmet Close in Dublin's south inner city and sources say that he comes from a "highly respectable" family.

The fatal incident was one of six violent knife attacks on a night of chaos in the capital which also left two men fighting for their lives in hospital.

A 22-year-old man is in "critical" condition in James Connolly Memorial Hospital after he was stabbed several times while attending a bonfire in west Dublin. The incident occurred shortly after 7.30pm on Saturday night in the Dromheath estate, Blanchardstown.

Gardai from Blanchardstown are investigating but no arrests have yet been made.

The other man fighting for his life was attacked with knives and hurleys in Clarehall.

Gardai responded to a public order call-out at approximately 1.10am yesterday morning after receiving reports of a mass brawl involving a number of men.

When officers arrived at the scene in Clarehall they discovered a 25-year-old man with serious stab wounds.


He was rushed to Beamount Hospital where he was last night undergoing emergency surgery. Two others received minor injuries in the incident.

Separately a 31-year old Coolock man suffered non life-threatening stab wounds in Darndale shortly after 3am yesterday. Gardai from Coolock are investigating both incidents.

In an unrelated attack a teenager has been left with "scars for life" after being stabbed in the face in Beamount Hospital's Emergency Department (ED).

The incident is believed to be linked to a family dispute, with the man's brother-in-law also brought to the hospital earlier that evening after being stabbed in the arm in a Swords halting site.

A source said the crisis-stricken emergency department descended into chaos during the incident.

A hospital spokeswoman said the incident involved "a number of patients who were accompanied to the ED by the gardai. The incident was managed and brought under control by gardai and assisted by Beaumont security staff".

"Planned protocols were followed to bring the situation under control and ensure patient and staff safety."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News