Legend McGrath delighted as Sean Cox out of coma
Irish football legend Paul McGrath has added the massive number of messages of support to Sean Cox after the Liverpool fan regained consciousness.
The father-of-three has been in a coma since being attacked before Liverpool's Champions League semi-final first-leg match against AS Roma in April.
Mr Cox (53), who was struck in the head by a belt, was hospitalised on April 24 and later transferred to Dublin's Beaumont Hospital for further treatment.
Former Ireland and Manchester United star Paul McGrath said that he was "delighted" at the news that Mr Cox's condition was improving and wished him all the best.
"Delighted to hear Liverpool supporter Sean Cox has regained consciousness after three months in a coma following a brutal attack before the Liverpool v Roma game," McGrath tweeted.
"Wishing Sean and his family all the best."
His delight at the news was echoed by fellow Ireland legend John Aldridge, who described it as "brilliant".
A statement from Electric.ie last week stated that Mr Cox's condition had improved and that his recovery is progressing.
"Sean Cox continues to recover slowly in Beaumont Hospital, Dublin," it said.
"He suffered a severe bleed to the brain following a horrific assault outside Liverpool football stadium ahead of a Champions League tie with Roma on April 24.
"Sean has regained consciousness and is undergoing dedicated rehabilitation. Recovery is progressing positively but very slowly.
"His colleagues in Precision Cables are overwhelmed by the support and good wishes for Sean and his family that they receive on a daily basis.
"They would like, once again, to ask that you keep him in your prayers and that he will continue on his road to recovery."
The Meath man was being treated for his injuries at the Walton Centre in Liverpool following the attack, before being airlifted to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin at the end of May.
Roma fan Filippo Lombardi (21) has pleaded not guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm, as well as denying a charge of violent disorder outside Liverpool's Anfield ground.
Daniele Sciusco (29) has admitted a charge of violent disorder.
In the aftermath of the attack on Mr Cox, more than 500 friends in the local community turned out in his home town of Dunboyne to offer support to the Cox family in a prayer service at St Peter and Paul's Church.
Before the second-leg clash with Roma, Liverpool hung a jersey of St Peter's GAA club - with Mr Cox's name on the back - in their dressing room.