herald

Sunday 17 November 2019

Jason's sister hits out at Molly for 'monstrous' money claims

Killer Molly Martens
Killer Molly Martens

The family of murdered businessman Jason Corbett have expressed anger at his killers' reasons for settling a wrongful death lawsuit.

Mr Corbett's wife, Molly Martens, and her father, Tom Martens, are serving 20 to 25-year stretches in a US jail for second degree murder.

Mr Corbett's sister, Tracey Corbett-Lynch, said it was "laughable" for the Martens to suggest that the €160,000 lawsuit was settled simply to provide funds for Mr Corbett's two children, Jack and Sarah.

She said it was also laughable to suggest that Molly Martens did not know about a €500,000 life insurance policy her husband held.

The Limerick woman, who waged a campaign to bring her brother's killers to justice, said their latest claims were "monstrous".

Tom Martens (68), a former FBI agent, and Molly (35) were convicted in 2017 of brutally beating to death Mr Corbett (39) with a concrete brick and a metal baseball bat while he slept at his home outside Winston-Salem, a city in North Carolina.

The Corbett family believe the murder was triggered by the Limerick businessman's refusal to allow his Tennessee-born wife to adopt his children amid increasing concerns over her mental health.

Molly married Mr Corbett after moving to Ireland to work as a nanny for his children after his first wife died from an asthma attack.

Mr Corbett's life insurance originally named Molly Martens and his children as beneficiaries.

Beneficiary

However, the policy was mysteriously changed online before Mr Corbett's death to ensure Molly Marten was sole beneficiary.

Molly Martens was dismissed as a party to the wrongful death lawsuit and settlement, but agreed to void her right to any of the insurance policy payments.

The settlement of the wrongful death lawsuit was tabled by Tom Martens and his wife after lengthy mediation with Mr Corbett's estate. The Martens' insurance company will also pay €17,500 as part of the settlement.

"If Molly is so concerned about the welfare of the children, I would publicly ask whether she is willing to hand over the €150,000 she received from the sale of Jason's home last year to the trust fund set up for them," said Mrs Corbett-Lynch.

"I also find the claims that no one knew about my brother's life insurance to be absolutely ridiculous when the Martens are on record as having said a family member made contact with the insurance firm.

"Molly had absolutely no choice but to renounce her right.

"If it was their intention to give the children these funds, it would not have been forced upon them by the court action taken by my brother's estate."

Mrs Corbett-Lynch said it required court action by the executor of her brother's estate to ensure that the €500,000 was removed from Molly Martens' control and placed in a court-controlled account.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News