herald

Saturday 7 December 2019

'It's bittersweet' - bodies of 16 truck trailer death migrants return home

Coffins arrive in Hanoi yesterday. Photo: Vietnam News Agency via AP
Coffins arrive in Hanoi yesterday. Photo: Vietnam News Agency via AP

The bodies of 16 of the 39 Vietnamese who died when human traffickers carried them by lorry to the UK last month were repatriated yesterday and have been taken to their families.

The bodies arrived on a flight that landed in Hanoi, Vietnam's capital.

The bodies were found on October 23 in the English town of Grays, Essex.

Police say the victims were aged between 15 and 44.

The 31 men and eight women are believed to have paid human traffickers for their transit into the UK.

Several suspects have been arrested in the UK, Ireland and Vietnam.

Devastated

Hoang Lanh, father of 18-year-old victim Hoang Van Tiep, said by phone that he had been informed by a local government official that his son's remains were being brought home, along with those of six other victims from Dien Chau district in Nghe An province, including Mr Tiep's cousin Nguyen Van Hung.

"It's bittersweet, I can't believe I would have to welcome my son back like this," Mr Lanh said.

"I'm devastated but I am happy to have him back with us."

Hoang Thi Nhiem, Mr Tiep's sister, said her family had received her brother's body shortly before noon.

A priest officiates prayers during a wake for Nguyen Van Hung. Photo: Nhac Nguyen/AFP via Getty Images
A priest officiates prayers during a wake for Nguyen Van Hung. Photo: Nhac Nguyen/AFP via Getty Images

"We are very sad, but we are happy now that he has been brought back to the place where he was born to be with his family and surrounded with love from the family," she said. "He wouldn't be able to rest in peace if he had still been in England."

Another victim's family expressed their sadness ahead of receiving the bodies of their loved one.

"I have been sad for a month and I can't eat anything," said Nguyen Thanh Le, father of 33-year-old Nguyen Van Hung.

"My son died far away from his home and I had to wait for a long time, but today his body is coming back and tomorrow is the funeral."

The British ambassador to Vietnam, Gareth Ward, said that the two countries will continue to work together "to prevent human trafficking and protect vulnerable people here".

"We will continue working with Vietnamese authorities to investigate the criminal acts that led to this tragedy," he said in a video statement.

"In the coming time, I plan to visit the affected communities to express my condolences and reinforce the British government's commitment to preventing anything like this from happening again."

Legal proceedings in the case are continuing in the UK.

On Monday in London, a lorry driver who allegedly was the driver of the vehicle in which the 39 bodies were found pleaded guilty to plotting with others to assist illegal immigration and acquiring criminal property.

Northern Irish driver Maurice Robinson, accused of being part of an international people-smuggling ring, was not asked to enter pleas to 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people.

Police say he drove the lorry cab to the port of Purfleet, where it picked up the container, which had arrived by ferry from the port of Zeebrugge in Belgium.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News