Saturday 24 March 2018

Irish fans warned of safety threat at Euros

IRISH soccer fans have been warned to be extra vigilant at this summer's European Championships by a Poznan native, now living in Ireland.

While the thousands of travelling supporters are planning a two-week party in Poznan in June, there have been warnings that the city isn't as safe as authorities might like.

"I know everybody will want to party but I know there are some bad guys who will want to take money from all the tourists," said Marek Jaworski, who originally hails from Kozieglowy, just outside Poznan.

"There are certain parts of the city where it is not safe if I am honest," said the 26-year-old, who moved to Ireland in 2006.

"I do not like to make fun of my home city or my country, but, to use an Irish word, I would call bits of Poznan a 'sh*thole'."


Trap's Boys in Green play Croatia in Poznan on June 10, and return to face Italy eight days later after a trip to Gdansk. Fears for Irish fans' safety have grown, after plans for a proposed 'Irish Fan Village' were scuppered, leaving a large number of revellers struggling to find accommodation.

The site had been set to house 9,000 travelling fans, but many have now been left in the lurch.

Lukas Sobczak (29), who is from Gdansk, where Ireland play Spain on June 14, also expressed concerns about safety in Poznan.

"The police in Gdansk are pretty hard. I would be more worried about them [the fans] in Poznan. I was at a football match in Lech Poznan's ground and it was crazy. Crazy men."

Damian Zalewski of Poznan City Council told the Herald that there was nothing to worry about. He said: "We have no fears about safety during the tournament, we know how to manage big crowds."


Promoted articles

Entertainment News