herald

Thursday 17 October 2019

Irish boy (4) found unconscious in pool loses his fight for life

Tragic youngster Avery Greene
Tragic youngster Avery Greene

A four-year-old Irish boy who was found unconscious in a pool near Alicante in Spain has died in hospital.

The youngster, who has been named as Avery Greene, was holidaying with his family in the Cabo Roig area about 10km from Torrevieja on the Costa Blanca when the tragedy unfolded.

The boy, who is the youngest of a family of three from Mallow, Co Cork, got into difficulty in a pool at the Aquamarina pool in Oriheula.

The alarm was raised shortly after 9am on Monday when a man went for a swim in the pool and thought there was an inflatable toy floating in the water. Tragically, when he swam closer he realised it was a small boy.

He immediately raised the alarm. The youngster's family realised he was missing and rushed to the scene.

It is believed that he slipped away from a relative briefly and fell in to the pool at around breakfast time.

Paramedics did everything in their power to assist the child and he was rushed to Alicante General Hospital unconscious.

Avery responded after CPR and his vital signs were temporarily restored. However, he lost his battle for life yesterday, surrounded by his family.

The local councillor for public safety, Ramon Lopez, said he wanted to commend "the rapid action of the agents of both the local police and the doctor from the health centre who were able to stabilise the child despite him being without oxygen for some time."

The death is being treated as a tragic accident. The Department of Foreign Affairs will provide consular support to the family.

Fine Gael councillor in Mallow, John Paul O'Shea, said the family of the young child were not known to him.

Distraught

However, what has occurred is "every parent's nightmare," he said. "The thoughts and prayers of the people of Mallow are with them at this time."

One eyewitness said there were very distressing scenes at the pool complex as emergency services battled to save the young boy, while distraught family members looked on.

Witnesses heard a woman screaming in English "that's my child". A rescue helicopter landed on a nearby beach and the boy was airlifted to hospital.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News