In brief: No verdict by sex trial jury
The jury in the trial of a Dublin man accused of falsely imprisoning, raping, sexually assaulting and threatening to kill a female escort has failed to reach a verdict after two days of deliberations.
The jury of seven men and five women said they did not feel they were making progress and could not reach a majority verdict after four hours and seven minutes of deliberations.
Mr Justice Paul Butler discharged the jurors.
The 40-year-old accused had pleaded not guilty to the alleged offences on December 9, 2009, at a Dublin address.
LA school ban for chef Jamie
Education chiefs in Los Angeles have stopped Jamie Oliver from cooking up another course of his reality TV show in the city's schools.
The filming permit for the chef's ABC series, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, was terminated this week, said Los Angeles Unified School District spokesman Robert Alaniz.
He said Oliver had been filming for two weeks at one school but the decision was made to ban him from others because he failed to submit a proposal about his plans to officials.
Death blast site made safe
Bomb disposal experts have removed a quantity of detonators from a mine where a workman was killed in a blast.
The Defence Forces were called to Lisheen Mines in Tipperary to make the area safe for gardai and investigators from the Health and Safety Authority.
The dead man, Joe Fallon, a 47-year-old father-of-three, was originally from the nearby village of Two Mile Borris but had been living in Callan, Co Kilkenny.
Film producer's mystery injuries
A producer of the Superman films of the 1970s and 80s was recovering at a hospital in Mexico today after being admitted with facial and head injuries and in a state of disorientation.
Ilya Salkind (63) had been staying at a home near Mexico City and was reported missing earlier this week.
Police said he was hurt while in a town called Tepoztlan. It was unclear how he was injured.