herald

Sunday 20 January 2019

In brief: Jurors still out in murder trial

The jury in the trial of a Wicklow man accused of the fatal shooting of a 27-year-old father-of-two has been sent home for the weekend after failing to reach a verdict in the Central Criminal Court.

Garrett O'Brien (34), of Clover Hill, Bray, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of Seamus 'Shay' O'Byrne at his home in Tymon Park North, Tallaght on March 13, 2009.

He has also pleaded not guilty to a second charge of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.

The jury will resume their deliberations on Monday.



New trial date



for sex accused

A NEW trial date is to be set for a youth who denies sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl at her home in 2009.

The 17-year-old boy has pleaded not guilty at the Children's Court to sexual assault of the girl at a house in Dublin.

His case had been listed for hearing last month and the complainant was to give evidence by video link. However the teenager did not turn up for his trial and a warrant was issued.

Judge Clare Leonard remanded him in his absence to appear again next week when a new trial date will be set.



Life for pair in musician killing

Two men have been found guilty at the Central Criminal Court of shooting dead a French street entertainer.

Mr Justice Paul Carney imposed the mandatory term of life imprisonment on Declan Sheridan (24) and James O'Connor (28) after a jury found them guilty of the murder of Charles Sinapayen.

Sheridan, of Sugarloaf View, Sea Road, Kilcoole, and O'Connor, of Kilbridge Grove in Bray, had both pleaded not guilty to the murder of Mr Sinapayen, in Bray, in May 29, 2009.



US in talks



with Taliban

The US and other foreign powers are engaged in preliminary negotiations with the Taliban about a possible settlement to the war in Afghanistan, Afghan president Hamid Karzai said today.

Diplomats have already said there have been months of preliminary talks between the two sides.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News