Saturday 16 December 2017

'I'm lucky to be alive' - Mannix after being hit by truck in city centre

Mannix Flynn sustained a number of fractures to his arm. Photo: Doug O'Connor
Mannix Flynn sustained a number of fractures to his arm. Photo: Doug O'Connor

City councillor Mannix Flynn has said he feels "lucky to be alive" after being hit by a truck in the capital last week.

Mr Flynn suffered a number of fractures to his left arm, along with concussion and heavy bruises to his lower back and legs in the incident, which happened at around 2.30pm last Wednesday.

The Independent representative, who is understood to have fallen under the vehicle, said he was only seconds from being reversed over as the driver was unaware he had hit him.

Mr Flynn said he was hit from the side by what he has described as a "dumper truck" on Herbert Street at the junction of Baggot Street.

"I was crossing the road and there was a truck parked to my right-hand side. I was about three-quarters of the way across the road when I was hit," said Mr Flynn.

"I fell from the knock and went under the vehicle. I was under the truck and it was reversing back, then I heard someone screaming at the driver to stop.


"Only for the screams he wasn't able to hear and he would have reversed over me.

"It was a pedestrian, who just so happened to be late for a meeting, who was on hand to save my life. I'm lucky to be alive."

Mr Flynn told the Herald that after the truck stopped he managed to pull himself from underneath and stand up.

However, on reaching the footpath he collapsed and was unconscious for up to 15 minutes.

He was on his way to a meeting about mother and baby homes with a group who were to give evidence.

After being checked over in an ambulance, he refused to be taken to hospital because he wanted to fulfil his duty to the group.

"I was in shock because I had loads of people around me. I had an adrenaline rush, I was just so happy to be alive," he said.

"I couldn't go to hospital because there were people I was with and they were in more shock than I was.

"I was in severe pain, and the following morning I went to the Mater Hospital.

"When I got there they said I should have gone straight away because I had severe concussion."


Mr Flynn, who will miss a number of council meetings while he recovers, said the whole ordeal has left him traumatised.

He said he will be calling on the council to bring in safety protocols for large vehicles that are higher off the ground in the city centre.

"I can understand now how people on push bikes can have no hope at all when they come into contact with a truck," he said.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News