herald

Friday 14 December 2018

'I paid price for rape trial remarks', says Hook

Broadcaster George Hook
Broadcaster George Hook

George Hook has revealed how he feels he "paid a fairly high price" for making controversial comments last year in relation to a rape trial involving a former member of the British swimming team.

The resulting furore saw the outspoken 76-year-old losing his Right Hook lunchtime weekday show on Newstalk.

"Live broadcasting, as everybody knows, is the most dramatic thing imaginable because you say something and can't take it back," he said.

"I paid a price for that indiscretion, which I didn't have that much of a problem doing."

Error

The BAI recently found that Newstalk failed to act in a "timely fashion" over the comments he made.

Hook told VIP Magazine that his entire life could not stop just because he made a serious error.

"It was live radio, I made a mistake, I've apologised and I will again if you want me to," he said.

He has now resumed his role with the station and is in the throes of a new show, Sit In, which airs every Saturday from 8-10am.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News