'I had no hand, act or part in kidnap of exec', says Quinn
Former billionaire Sean Quinn has denied he had anything to do with the abduction and torture of Quinn Industrial Holdings director Kevin Lunney.
Mr Quinn said the incident had ended any ambition he had to return to the Quinn Group.
On September 17, Mr Lunney (50) was abducted from his home near Derrylin in Co Fermanagh before being held captive for almost three hours.
He was then dumped nearly naked at a crossroads near Cornafean, Co Cavan. He had been beaten and sliced with a Stanley blade while some of his finger nails were also removed.
"I think that somebody with a high IQ would know that Sean Quinn is not a real fool and that he would know if something like what happened to Kevin Lunney happened, that people would be looking in his direction," he said in an interview aired last night by Channel 4 News.
"Wouldn't I know that? So unless they consider me a real idiot, sure there's no way that I could allow that to be done in my name.
"No I didn't," Mr Quinn repeated, when asked if he knew about, commissioned or sanctioned the abduction and torture of Mr Lunney.
"I had no hand, act or part, or no gain. I'd have no benefit from doing anything to Kevin Lunney. Kevin Lunney and I were good friends for years."
However, he highlighted the anger in some parts of the community about how he was treated by the new executives.
"The locals are also very angry about what they've done to me, throwing me out the gate, giving me nothing, sacking me. They're very, very angry," Mr Quinn said.
He added that the incident has ended the ambition he had of rejoining the company.
"I'm telling you that a month ago, I still had ambitions to go back into those offices and sort out Quinn Group - a month ago, not today," he said, adding that the incident with Mr Lunney was what changed his view.
"People can say whatever they want about me, but I don't want to be seen as being a beneficiary of abuse or of criminal activity."