Sunday 24 February 2019

Husband questioned after mum-of-three killed and her body dumped at local lake

Gardai at the scene near Lough Gill where the body of Natalia Karaczyn was found
Gardai at the scene near Lough Gill where the body of Natalia Karaczyn was found
A Peugeot car is removed from the home of Natalia Karacyzn in Crozon park in Sligo
Rafal Karaczyn
A member of the Garda Technical Bureau removes evidence from the scene

This is the man who was last night being quizzed over the murder of his wife, whose body was found dumped at a lake two days after she was reported missing.

Natalia Karaczyn (30) had been strangled.

Her husband Rafal Karaczyn (32) was arrested for a second time yesterday morning by gardai investigating the disappearance and murder of his wife.

The body of the mother-of-three was recovered near Lough Gill, Sligo, shortly after 10am yesterday, following a large-scale search effort by local gardai.

She had been missing for more than 48 hours after returning to her home in the Crozon Park area of Sligo from a night out with friends on Sunday morning.

Her husband, fellow Polish national Mr Karaczyn, was initially arrested later that evening while his wife was still missing.

He was questioned for more than a day before being released without charge just after 5am yesterday.


However, it is understood that he was contacted by associates of his late wife, who persuaded him to return to the garda station.

Mr Karaczyn was then re- arrested by gardai.

Shortly after 10am, the body of a woman, since identified as Ms Karaczyn, was recovered near Lough Gill, more than 2km from where she was last seen.

Post-mortem results confirmed that she died from injuries consistent with strangulation, according to a senior source.

Detectives believe that she may have been killed in a "crime of passion".

As part of the investigation, gardai gathered CCTV footage from properties and businesses near Crozon Park.

According to Ms Karaczyn's family, footage from a pub near their home showed Natalia walking along the road at 6.30am on Sunday.

Separate images from a neighbour's property showed a vehicle leaving the Crozon Park area that same morning, before returning a short time later.

This vehicle was seized yesterday afternoon by gardai and will be forensically examined.

Chief Superintendent Aidan Glackin (left), of the Sligo/Leitrim garda division, praised the work of his officers who are investigating the case, while also thanking the local community for its support.

"The investigation is still very live but I do want to reiterate that there are sensitivities here. There's privacies that need to be afforded to the families that are involved," he told reporters at the scene on Holywell Road.


"I want to thank the community in Sligo for the great assistance we've got and I can't stress that enough.

"I want to thank the earnest and diligent work that Garda Siochana in the Sligo/Leitrim division have done to bring us to this stage."

Chief Supt Glackin described what happened as a "tragic event".

He said a family liaison officer had been appointed to Ms Karaczyn's family, who are being kept informed of updates in the investigation.

On Monday, her family made a heartfelt plea for information about Ms Karaczyn's disappearance.

Her sister Magdalena McMorrow said: "Please, if you have any information, seen her or maybe have CCTV outside your house in the area, get in touch with Sligo Garda Station or myself."

A section of Holywell Road remained sealed-off yesterday as gardai carried out a number of examinations.

Ms Karaczyn's body was removed from the scene shortly after 2pm and brought to Sligo University Hospital, where a full post-mortem examination was carried out.

Officers from the garda dog unit were also called to the scene to search the area after the body was removed.

Last night, Mr Karaczyn was continuing to be questioned at Ballymote Garda Station over his wife's murder.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News