How we got stuck with a lifetime of bills
EX TAOISEACH Bertie Ahern spent just 12 minutes in the Dail to hear how we are stuck with a €43bn bill for his leadership.
Every taxpayer in the country must now pay €2,000 a year for the excesses of bank chiefs, Seanie Fitzpatrick and Michael 'Fingers' Fingleton.
It all happened on Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen's watch. But Bertie only sat and listened to the opening 12 minutes of Brian Lenihan's Nama speech in the Dail last night.
Within minutes of the Finance Minister beginning to outline how he will try to tackle the problem, Mr Ahern got up and left.
And despite their central role in the banking collapse, Fitzpatrick and Fingleton are still enjoying multi-million euro pensions.
HOW WE GOT STUCK WITH A LIFETIME OF BILLS: Pages 2 -5 & 14
- Andrew Lynch: It's their fault
- Dan White: It's their fault
- Gone in 12 minutes - the man who blew the boom
- Bank shares soar again as taxpayers saddled with €40bn of debt
- ... and all policyholders face 2pc Quinn insurance levy
- The answers that Quinn customers need to know