Wednesday 22 November 2017

How I survived for 12 hours lost in Outback

ORDEAL: Dubliner faced 40C hell after row

A YOUNG Dublin woman who survived 12 hours lost in the Australian Outback went missing following an argument with her boyfriend, it emerged today.

Kelly Carty Eglington, from Coolock in north Dublin, has told how she had "given up hope" of being found after getting lost amid the blistering heat in a remote part of New South Wales.

Medics say the 25-year-old is lucky to be alive after suffering severe sunburn, dehydration and hallucinations. Her disappearance sparked a major search effort by New South Wales Police and local farmers.

She was travelling by car with her Australian boyfriend from their home in Melbourne when they had an argument.

It is understood that Kelly became upset and fled the car with her shitzu maltese puppy, Charlie.

Having wandered throughout dense bushland for a short period of time, Kelly realised she was lost and became distressed and disorientated.

"She had a crisis and walked off into the bush to help her cope with that crisis," local Police Inspector Chris Neaves said.

"She got lost and didn't know the gravity of the dangers of being in a remote location."

Kelly spent Sunday wandering throughout the dense bushland without food and water, where temperatures soared to over 40C.

However, she was able to alert a rescue plane to her whereabouts after taking off her T-shirt and waving it as an SOS signal.

The Dublin woman -- who has lived in Australia for four years -- was found sitting under a tree at 5pm on Sunday.

She has spoken of her terror, after encountering kangaroos, lizards and other wild animals.

"I had no food or water, and only one shoe -- a thong -- on because I had left the car in such a hurry," she said.

"I kept seeing kangaroos, emus and lizards. The only thing I didn't see were snakes, which was very lucky because I am sure I walked across a snake pit or two.

"All I kept thinking was if someone was looking for me they would have found me by now, I could see a plane flying around for hours and I couldn't understand why it wasn't coming over to where I was, but it was because I had walked so far away from where I had last been seen."

Kelly was airlifted to the Bourke Hospital where she is continuing to recover.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News