Wednesday 22 November 2017

How Gigi Lee's tragic baby boy died in a diabetic coma

Heartbreak: 'Mini Van' became ill in mum's Texas home

THE baby boy named by his mother as Van Morrison's love child died after slipping into a diabetic coma, an autopsy report has revealed.

The report noted that 13-month-old George Ivan Morrison died on January 25 last year from hyperglycemia and obesity -- at his mother Gigi Lee's home in Fort Worth, Texas.

The tot, who was nicknamed Mini-Van by the Belfast music legend's former tour manager, is understood to have weighed almost two and a half stone (33lbs) when he passed away just nine months before Ms Lee died in an east Belfast hospice.

The autopsy report carried out by deputy medical examiner Dr Shiping Bao at Tarrant County, Texas, said the child had been found unresponsive at his home.

He was formally pronounced dead at 2.32am at North Hills Hospital on January 25. Dr Bao noted: "The body presents large build with obesity... the head is covered by medium length, brown hair. The face is unremarkable."

He later added there were no injuries or fractures and said there was no sign of trauma or foul play.

Blood tests showed a glucose reading of 426mg -- which would indicate extreme hyperglycemia -- extremely high blood sugar.


The report also revealed that the child had suffered from a lower respiratory tract infection when aged just seven months -- around the time he was said to have been living in Northern Ireland.

The tragic baby was at the centre of a media storm when Gigi Lee announced his birth on Van Morrison's official website two years ago.

However, the Brown Eyed Girl singer, who is married to former Miss Ireland Michelle Rocca, has continued to deny paternity.

Rumours of the child's death first emerged with news that 44-year-old Gigi Lee had passed away in October.

The 44-year-old Texan had been diagnosed with inoperable throat cancer before she was pregnant.

She had refused radiation therapy for her illness fearing that the treatment would harm her baby and died in the Marie Curie Hospice in Kensington Road, Belfast.

Both Gigi Lee and Van Morrison went to the High Court in Belfast previously to prevent publishing various details about where she lived with her son and details about his physical appearance.

A temporary injunction banned publication of the information, however it was lifted in April when Morrison backed down in his attempt to secure a full injunction against the media.

Van Morrison is expected to play a series of intimate gigs at the Culloden Hotel this week ahead of shows at the Odyssey and O2 in Dublin next month.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News