| 8.9°C Dublin

Horror attack by dogs which killed boy (8) caught on CCTV

Close

The boy was set upon by two Rottweilers in the attack

The boy was set upon by two Rottweilers in the attack

The boy was set upon by two Rottweilers in the attack

The horrific attack by two dogs on an eight-year-old boy who died after suffering gruesome injuries at his Dublin home was caught on CCTV, it is believed.

The boy suffered devastating injuries to his head and body in the incident on Sunday afternoon.

He has been named locally as Glen Murphy.

It is understood the tragic youngster had been under sustained attack from the animals for a number of minutes.

Security footage on CCTV is being examined by gardai but is believed to have recorded the horrific incident.

The boy was set upon by two Rottweilers in the attack at around 4pm at the family's property on the Blessington Road, west of Tallaght.

He was found by a relative and rushed by ambulance to Tallaght Hospital with serious injuries before he was later transferred to Crumlin Children's Hospital.

The dog warden was notified about the incident and the dogs, believed to be pets and guard dogs, were confiscated and put down.

A full investigation into the incident was launched, led by gardai at Tallaght Garda Station.

The home, a detached property off the Blessington Road, is situated at the bottom of a storage yard from which a self-storage container business is run, with the storage units situated beside and behind the house.

"This is a very tragic incident. It's understood that one dog turned and the other joined in. The dogs would have been very familiar to the child and their surroundings and they have never caused any issues before," a source said.

Gardai and the emergency services rushed to the scene when the alarm was raised.

"At approximately 4pm, a male child (8) was seriously injured following a reported attack by a number of dogs at a house in the Tallaght area," a garda spokesperson said after the incident.

Distraught

Gardai confirmed at lunchtime yesterday that the young boy had died.

A source told the Herald the family were "utterly distraught" following the tragedy.

Local councillor Charlie O'Connor said the community reacted with deep shock on hearing of the news of the dog attack, but their shock was compounded when they had heard that the young boy had died.

"Everybody's reaction has been the same, and that's a reaction of shock and sadness," said Mr O'Connor.

"It's an extraordinary incident and nobody can get to grips with it, and for it to happen while there is already so much bad news in the community surrounding coronavirus just makes it worse.

"You can only feel for the family at this awful time, and they will have the support of the whole community."

South Dublin County Council has confirmed its dog warden was contacted by An Garda Siochana about the incident and confiscated the dogs and organised having them destroyed.

"The council can confirm that the dog warden works for the council. As this is an active investigation, all other queries should be directed to An Garda Siochana," a spokeswoman said.