Sunday 20 January 2019

Horrific wounds of nightmare on Grafton Street

Horrific injuries were inflicted on a 21-year-old student on Grafton Street in May.

Business student Tomas Carter (21) from Monkstown was left fighting for his life after a savage attack on the pedestrian street.

Mr Carter is desperate for the man who attacked him and left him for dead to be brought to justice.

"It has been the worst experience of my life -- it has made me very wary of walking around -- especially at night," he said.


The incident occurred at the junction of Grafton and Harry Street at 3am on Sunday, May 29.

Explaining the terrifying aftermath of the assault, the brave attack victim told the Herald: "I ended up having a six inch fracture in my skull.

“St Michael’s Hospital in Dun Laoghaire sent me in an ambulance to St Vincent’s who did a CT scan which showed up bleeding in my brain.

“It was putting extreme pressure on my brain and skull, which, if it had not been diagnosed and had surgery, would have led to my death within 48 hours.

“So they immediately sent me in an ambulance to Beaumont Hospital who had surgeons waiting there to perform surgery immediately.”

Two neuro-surgeons performed a three and a half hour procedure on Mr Carter who also suffered blood clots.


“The surgeons had to open my skull up,” said Mr Carter. “Whilst doing this a part of my skull crumbled and had to be removed.

“They stopped the blood clot and drained the blood from my brain successfully.

“They had to put two titanium plates and screws in my head to hold my skull together, from where they had to cut open my skull and also where the skull bone crumbled.”

Mr Carter is continuing to recover from his injuries and still suffers severe headaches.

Sources have revealed that the “net may be closing in” on the thug responsible. The attack followed a verbal altercation between Mr Carter and a rickshaw driver at Grafton Street.

The Herald has previously published CCTV images of the alleged attacker which show him walking down Grafton Street from the St Stephen’s Green area along with another male and female.

The images show the alleged culprit is a white male, aged in his early to mid-20s, tall, well built, casually dressed, wearing a white T-shirt under a jacket.

The female is described as being of slim build, with dark hair. She was wearing a short black blouse and carrying a handbag in her right hand. The second male was black, tall, well built and casually dressed, wearing a black jacket.

The attacker singled out his victim and struck him a massive single blow to the head in what gardai say was a particularly brutal assault. Officers believe the alleged culprit may have been trained as a boxer such was the power of his punch.

The two people with the attacker tried to pull him away as the assault took place.

They then continued walking down Lower Grafton Street onto College Green.


A crowd gathered around the victim and investigating gardai are requesting that anyone who may have witnessed this assault, or who was in the area at about 3am to contact them.

The investigation is being led by Det Insp Michael Cryan of Pearse Street Garda Station.

Officers would also like to speak to taxi drivers who may have picked up the three people that morning in the area around Westmoreland Street, Aston Quay and O'Connell Bridge.

Anyone with any information is asked to call Pearse Street on 01-6669000, the Garda Confidential Line, 1-800-666-111 or any local Garda Station.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News