herald

Saturday 21 September 2019

Homeless man is injured in city attack

Injured man was living in tent
Injured man was living in tent

A homeless man has been hospitalised after an apparent stabbing in the capital.

The man, in his 50s, had been living in a tent in Wolfe Tone Park in Dublin's north inner city.

The Feed Our Homeless (FOH) organisation said the man was seriously injured in the stabbing on Sunday night.

Gardai are investigating an incident of assault in the park.

However, they would not confirm the nature of the attack.

Vulnerable

"Gardai are investigating an assault that occurred on Sunday evening at approximately 10pm," a garda spokesperson told

the Herald.

"An injured man in his early 50s was taken to the Mater Hospital and investigations are ongoing."

FOH founder Tony Walsh called on relevant authorities to take action, saying that sleeping in tents in the city was not safe and that people who did so were vulnerable.

His outreach team was checking on homeless people in the area when it came upon the scene of the alleged assault.

Mr Walsh said he was concerned for the safety of homeless people living in tents in the city.

He added that he hoped the injured man recovers well and that justice is dealt out to those who inflicted his injuries.

"This type of callous behaviour, where a vulnerable homeless person was left seriously injured while sleeping in his tent, is totally unacceptable and has no place in our community," Mr Walsh said.

"We hope the relevant authorities catch up with whoever is responsible for this horrible, nasty, callous act and they are brought to justice before the courts."

It is understood that gardai remained in the area for some time after being alerted to the incident.

It was brought to their attention by another person sleeping rough there.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News