herald

Friday 13 December 2019

Helmet 'penetrated' boy's hand in shocking accident during hurling club match

A Dublin Fire Brigade crew gently dealing with the penetrating injury
A Dublin Fire Brigade crew gently dealing with the penetrating injury

Paramedics with Dublin Fire Brigade are warning about unexpected dangers associated with sport after a young hurler was injured by the helmet he was wearing while playing in a club match over the weekend.

A spokesperson for the fire brigade said the boy's parents and club wanted to remain anonymous and had asked them not to reveal where and how the accident happened.

In a social media tweet, Dublin Fire Brigade said: "It comes as no surprise that we see an increase in sports-related injuries over the weekend.

"This weekend, one of our crews had to deal with a penetrating injury with a hurling helmet.

Nerves

"The helmet had to be removed before the patient could be transported to the (hospital) Emergency Department."

However, he said the type of injury the boy suffered, "is not commonplace".

"The child, we believe, is doing very well. The pictures [above and right] were provided on the basis on anonymity for both the child and the club by the fire brigade."

The boy was taken to Tallaght Hospital following the accident in west Dublin and it is believed that he did not suffer nerve damage and the wire did not hit any bone.

In response to the tweet, one member of the public wrote: "Not sure if this happened in this particular case, but a lot of players were cutting bars for better visibility/peripheral vision and it totally weakens the whole face-guard structure."

The GAA made wearing helmets in hurling mandatory in 2010, leading to a significant reduction in the number of injuries treated in hospitals.

Experts say that wearing a helmet with a face-guard reduces the risk of injury ten-fold.

Meanwhile, hurlers were warned against modifying their helmets after another club player had his hand pierced by a metal bar from an opponent's helmet earlier this year.

The incident is highlighted in the Irish Medical Journal, in which the authors call for heightened awareness around the dangers of modifying hurling helmets.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News