| 17.5°C Dublin

Hell on earth


An aerial view shows burnt houses and trees in Mati

An aerial view shows burnt houses and trees in Mati


Volunteers distribute food

Volunteers distribute food


An injured woman is carried to safety in Mati. Photo: AP

An injured woman is carried to safety in Mati. Photo: AP



An aerial view shows burnt houses and trees in Mati

The death toll from a fire which ripped through a Greek coastal town stood at 81 yesterday as frantic relatives tried to track down missing people and coroners began the grim task of identifying bodies.

Hundreds of people were trapped in the eastern resort of Mati on Monday night as flames whipped around them.

Many jumped into the sea to survive but others died from suffocation, either in their cars or trapped on cliff edges.

The Greek anti-terrorist service was investigating suggestions that the blaze - one of several throughout the Attica region - was started deliberately, a security source said.


Arson is often thought to be behind some fires in a crude attempt to clear forest land for building.

The fire brigade said the death of a survivor in hospital had taken the toll up to 81.

The service had also received dozens of calls reporting missing persons, but it was unclear if some of them were among those found dead, a spokesperson said.

Some people appeared on television to plead for help.

"I'm looking for my mum," a young woman told Greece's SKAI TV between sobs.

Her mother is Athina Karakoulaki (48), whom she last spoke to on Monday afternoon as the flames closed in.

The fire broke out just before 5pm, an hour which is observed as a siesta time in rural Greek communities. Mati was popular with local tourists, including pensioners.

Rescue teams combed through the area and the sea yesterday trying to locate anything which could offer clarity on the missing, who are thought to number about 40.

"We took our cars and went down to the sea and got into the sea to escape, but there were people who did not make it," said Mati resident Agni Gantona.

"We got into the water and stayed there for about five hours until the boats came to pick us up.

"We were down at the beach with about 250, 300 people.

"Some were burned, some were near fainting from the smoke and the flames.

"Groups of us, we were holding each other by the hand and shouting each other's names, because we could not see for the smoke."

With most of the corpses badly charred, identification will be challenging, experts said.

"Work has started on identifying the victims of the wildfires but the majority of the bodies are totally charred," said Grigoris Leon, head of the Hellenic Society of Forensic Medicine.

Mr Leon said this would involve teamwork by coroners, forensic dentistry experts and the police forensic service.


It was unclear what caused the fire, which spread rapidly.

But some suggested that the sheer force of winds, thick pine, fire and panic was a deadly combination, making even the most well-executed evacuation plan futile.

"Armageddon", wrote the daily newspaper Ethnos on its front page. It carried a photo of a burnt Greek flag hanging among the branches of a charred tree.