herald

Thursday 5 December 2019

Harry suing Mirror and Sun over 'hack' claim

Prince Harry. Photo: Reuters
Prince Harry. Photo: Reuters

Prince Harry has begun legal proceedings against the publishers of the Sun and the Daily Mirror newspapers over alleged phone hacking.

A royal source confirmed that Harry had filed claims at the High Court in London "regarding the illegal interception of voicemail mess- ages", but that as the particulars of the claims were not yet public there could be no further comment.

It comes three days after it was announced that Meghan Markle is suing the Mail On Sunday after it published a letter she wrote to her father.

Scathing

A spokeswoman for News Group Newspapers (NGN), which owns the Sun and the now defunct News Of The World, said: "We confirm that a claim has been issued by the Duke of Sussex. We have no further comment to make at the current time."

A source at Reach plc, which owns the Mirror, said it was aware that proceedings had been issued but had not yet received them, so they were unable to comment further.

Harry launched a scathing attack on the British tabloid press on Tuesday as news of Meghan's action against the Mail On Sunday became public.

A Mail On Sunday spokesman said: "The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News