herald

Friday 14 December 2018

Gun-toting gardai to keep gig-goers safe at Castle concerts

Nile Rodgers
Nile Rodgers
Liam Gallagher will be performing at Malahide Castle

Armed gardai will patrol this summer's Malahide Castle concerts to protect gig-goers in the event of a terror attack or other emergency.

Organisers have said they will be fully prepared to deal with any incidents that might happen.

Terror attacks have become a real concern for concert-goers following incidents in Manchester and Las Vegas, but Supt Gerry Donnelly, of Swords Garda Station, has said those attending the gigs should feel safe.

"We take into account what has happened internationally in terms of our police relations. We are mindful of that and we do take it into consideration," he said.

"There will be an armed presence at the concert, as that's standard practice now."

LCD Soundsystem will kick-off proceedings on Tuesday before Kodaline perform on Friday followed by Gorillaz on Saturday.

Liam Gallagher will take to the stage the following week, on Friday, June 15, and Chic featuring Nile Rodgers will close the shows the next day.

Packed

Fans are advised that there are still tickets available for LCD Soundsystem and Chic featuring Nile Rodgers.

The crowd capacity for the concerts will be 21,000 and the venue is expected to be packed for Kodaline, Liam Gallagher and Gorillaz.

"The weather is fantastic and this is great for us to build the site," said festival representative Ian Donaldson. "For the shows where tickets are still available, it's great ticket-buying weather.

"The forecast is something that's out of our hands. If we get to Tuesday without any rain, the site is in essence built. If it rains between LCD and Kodaline, it's not really an issue."

As the area around Malahide Castle will be busy, fans are asked to take public transport to the venue if possible.

"We do want to stress that public transport works really well to this site, so we are advising people to use the Dart or come on the bus," Mr Donaldson said.

"We advise people as much as possible not to drive."

In keeping with usual procedure for most concerts, backpacks and large bags will not be allowed inside the castle grounds, and only small bags measuring A4 in size will be permitted.

Bags will be searched on entry and, to avoid lengthy queues, concert-goers are advised not to bring a bag if it can be avoided.

Under 16s must be accompanied by a parent or guardian over 18.

"We had two concerts last year and they were run very successfully," said Supt Donnelly.

"Our planning for these concerts is based on the success we had last year.

"The primary objective from a policing perspective is that people will arrive at the venue safely and enjoy the concerts and depart in a safe, orderly manner."

Further information on the concerts taking place can be found at mcd.ie.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News