| 20.8°C Dublin

Gunman who shot great-gran caught on CCTV after take a taxi crime scene


Great-grandmother May Brown

Great-grandmother May Brown

Gardai at the scene of the shooting

Gardai at the scene of the shooting


Great-grandmother May Brown

The gunman who shot a 77-year-old great-grandmother in the leg was dropped close to the scene of the attack by a taxi in which he also fled.

Images of the attacker have been caught on CCTV.

May Brown is understood to be making a good recovery after she was shot once with a handgun in her lower left leg at her home on Oliver Plunkett Avenue in Monkstown, south Dublin, at 11.05pm last Thursday.

It can now be revealed that the gunman was taken to the Monkstown Farm area in a taxi.

He was seen getting out of the vehicle and running towards Oliver Plunkett Avenue carrying a handgun.


While the unmasked gunman raced to the small cul-de-sac, it is understood the taxi driver got out and smoked a cigarette.

Minutes later, the gunman can be seen on CCTV running back from Oliver Plunkett Avenue after the shooting, still holding the gun, before getting back into the taxi which then sped away.

Gardai have gathered CCTV footage from several business premises in Monkstown Farm, including a bookmakers, showing what happened.

Detectives arrested two cousins, aged 29 and 31, from Cabra, north Dublin, as part of the investigation, but they were released without charge over the weekend.

They were questioned at Dun Laoghaire Garda Station after being arrested by armed officers during dawn raids on Saturday.

The gunman fired five shots at the great-grandmother in her home, even though she has no involvement in crime.

Her six-year-old great-grandson was inside at the time.

Speaking from the house yesterday, Ms Brown's grandson, Steven, said she is recovering well from her injuries.

"She should be out of hospital maybe by later today or tomorrow. She's doing good. There's no bones broken or anything," he said.

Two bullet holes in the front door were still visible.

Asked if the bullet had hit her while she was standing behind the door or in plain view of the gunman, Steven said he was not sure.

It is understood that Steven was the intended target of the shooting and, in an interview with the Sunday World at the weekend,he described the gunman who attacked the popular widow as "scum".

He revealed that courageous Ms Brown was able to identify the gunman from pictures on his Facebook page.

"We showed her pictures on Facebook and she was able to point at one and say: 'That's him'," he said.


"We know who they are. They were after me over one or two things. It was just a stupid incident that happened and then they came down here.

"They came in the garden and f**ked a bar at the front porch, so me and another person ended up having a scrap with the two of them.

"So one of them ended up threatening me then. "He said they would be back.

Supt Martin Fitzgerald appealed for information in the case, which he described as "unusual" and "very callous".

"We believe that the woman was injured from one discharge from the firearm, although we believe there were multiple shots discharged at the scene by the lone gunman," he said.

"There were no words of exchange from the culprit, who did not speak throughout the particular incident."

Neighbours living around the cul-de-sac said they were shocked at what had happened.

Marian Lee, who lives behind Ms Brown's house, said she had no idea what had happened.

"Then I heard it was May. Who would shoot May? She never done anything wrong on anyone in her life," she said.