Grim search for victims of oil refinery blast
Specialist police teams have begun recovering the bodies of four workers killed in the Chevron oil refinery blast, while one of their injured colleagues remains in a critical condition in hospital.
Dyfed Powys Police said the removal of the corpses would be "a slow and methodical process" due to the nature of the incident, which has been described by officials as a "tragic industrial accident".
A joint police and Health and Safety Executive investigation is being carried out into the blast after it ripped through the refinery in Pembroke Dock, south Wales.
Maintenance work had been carried out on a 730 cubic metre storage tank which exploded around 6.20pm on Thursday, damaging an adjacent vessel.
Sources said that three of those who died were male painters while the fourth was a woman on fire-watch duties.
The worker who survived the blast is being treated for severe burns at Morriston Hospital in Swansea.
Chief Superintendent Dean Richards, from Dyfed Powys Police, said that specialist police teams began recovering the bodies of those killed yesterday afternoon.
A Home Office pathologist was sent to the scene and the Pembrokeshire Coroner has been informed.
Mr Richards confirmed that the four people killed in the explosion and the one person seriously injured were all local.
Investigators are being urged to find out what caused the blast as quickly as they can.