Sunday 17 December 2017

'Go down to shore and wait' - last text message from 'Master' to 'Slave' phone

Elaine O'Hara
Elaine O'Hara

THE last text message sent from a phone alleged to have been used by Graham Dwyer on the day Elaine O'Hara went missing said "go down to shore and wait", the Central Criminal Court heard.

The text was found on one of two phones retrieved from the bottom of Vartry reservoir in the same month that Ms O'Hara's remains were discovered - September 2013.

The text was sent at 6pm on August 22, 2012, the day Ms O'Hara went missing, and connected with a phone mast at Shankill, Crime and Policing analyst Sarah Skedd told the jury.

The court heard the message was sent by the so-called "Master" phone, which the prosecution claims was in use by Mr Dwyer, to the so-called "Slave" phone, alleged to have been used by Ms O'Hara.

She was last seen alive at Shanganagh Cemetery, Shankill at 5.45pm that day.

Ms Skedd said Mr Dwyer's work phone was out of coverage from 4.55pm that day, when it connected with a cell at ESB headquarters in the city centre, and again at a cell in Foxrock at around 9pm that night.


The jury also heard the "Master" phone allegedly used by Graham Dwyer had door entry codes for Ms O'Hara's apartment complex dialled into it at the time Mr Dwyer was seen there on CCTV a week before she disappeared.

Another phone that had allegedly been used by the accused had been sent other entry codes earlier, the jury was told.

Ms Skedd said that the contact number used to buy the other phone allegedly used by Mr Dwyer was the same as his own work phone number apart from the prefix.

She gave evidence of a number of "points of connection" or links investigators made between mobile phones allegedly used by Mr Dwyer, including the "Master" Nokia phone with an 086 1759076 number that was later found in Vartry reservoir and a phone with an 083 1103474 number that was bought in the name "Goroon Caisholm" but never found.

Judge Hunt reminded the jury that all the links and the use of the phones was yet to be proven.

Ms Skedd agreed with prosecutor Sean Guerin that Mr Dwyer's work phone had a similar number to the contact provided by the person who bought the "Goroon" phone. She said the only difference was the prefix - Mr Dwyer's work phone had the number 087 2100407, while the number provided for the "Goroon" phone was 086 2100407.

Another point of connection on a chart shown to the jury was between Mr Dwyer's work phone and Ms O'Hara's iPhone had contact between January 2008 and December 2009.

Mr Guerin then took Ms Skedd through the points of connection on the chart coming from the "Goroon" phone.

He pointed to a link Ms Skedd had made between this phone and Gordon Chisolm, who knew Mr Dwyer from the 1990s and previously worked at A&D Wejchert Architects.


The "connection" was the similarity between Mr Chisolm's name and that of "Goroon Caisholm."

The second point of connection on the chart was the similarity between Mr Dwyer's sister's home address and the address given by the person who had bought the "Goroon" phone - Oaklawn, Clerihan, Tipperary.

Also noted on the chart was contact between the "Goroon" phone and Ms O'Hara's from March 2011 to July 2012, when it ended.

More links were a text message with the number 13460 from Ms O'Hara's phone to the "Goroon" phone on March 28, 2011. This was the entry code to one of the doors at Belarmine Plaza, Stepaside from December 23, 2010.

On November 13, 2011, another text was sent with the entry code for Block A at the complex.

They then moved on to connection points on the chart coming from the "Master" phone, beginning with contacts that were made between it and the "Slave" phone between December 2011 and August 2012.

The court had already heard outgoing contact from the phones was exclusively between each other, or topping up.

On August 15, 2012, the entry code of Block A at Belarmine Plaza was inputted into the "Master" phone.

Ms Skedd agreed that whoever was using that phone had inputted the entry code number during a period from 7pm to 8.02pm that day, when Graham Dwyer was seen on CCTV entering and leaving the complex.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News