A 13-year-old girl on holiday had her tongue burned by chemicals after her mother bought her an iced drink that had been contaminated with corrosive cleaning fluid, a court has heard.
Barrister Harriet Meagher had provided the court with a legal opinion that Kareena Hoollah, now aged 15, had fully recovered from burning her tongue two weeks after the incident, Judge John O'Connor was told in the Circuit Civil court yesterday.
Judge O'Connor was told by Kareena's solicitor Peter Duff that the incident had happened while she and her mother, Babita Hoollah, had been holidaying at the Trabolgan Holiday Centre in Co Cork.
The court heard that on June 17, 2018, Ms Hoollah had bought her daughter a frozen drink known as a slush puppie.
Ms Meagher said Kareena had taken one mouthful of the drink and spat it out when she felt a burning sensation in her mouth. The drink had been contaminated with cleaning fluid.
Counsel said Kareena's mother had tested and swallowed some of the drink and both she and her daughter had to be taken by ambulance from Trabolgan to Cork University Hospital in the early hours of the morning of June 18, 2018.
A doctor noted that corrosion was evident on Kareena's tongue.
Kareena, of The Green, Whitfield Manor, Bettystown, Co Meath, later attended her GP who, in a medical report to the court, said Kareena had suffered from a burning sensation on her tongue. Her symptoms cleared up within two weeks.
Judge O'Connor heard that Kareena, through her mother, had sued Trabolgan Holiday Centre and the Injuries Board had assessed her damages at €3,000.
The judge said that although the Injuries Board assessment and subsequent settlement offer had not been very generous he would approve the offer together with District Court costs. Ms Meagher and Mr Duff had both recommended the court's acceptance of the assessed damages.