Wednesday 13 December 2017

Gardai search landfill for missing body parts of murdered Kenneth

Gardai at the scene as the search begins for the body parts of Kenneth O’Brien
Gardai at the scene as the search begins for the body parts of Kenneth O’Brien

Dozens of gardai have been involved in the search of a landfill in a major operation linked to the murder of Kenneth O'Brien.

It is understood that officers in Wicklow were yesterday searching for remaining body parts of the 33-year-old, whose butchered body was found in the Grand Canal in Co Kildare last month.

Gardai entered the dump at Ballynagran, just off the M11, west of Wicklow town, shortly after 9am yesterday and spent the day searching the large site.


A father and son remained in garda custody for a fifth night last night as officers continued to search a sealed-off house in Finglas as part of the investigation.

Members of the garda technical bureau have also been involved in the detailed search of the house after the arrest of the men on Saturday morning.

The duo, who were not previously known to officers for involvement in serious crime, are being held at Leixlip and Naas garda stations.

An imitation firearm and fake grenade were recovered by officers during the search and gardai have been investigating whether the men have links to dissident Republicanism.

It is understood that the younger of the arrested men has given gardai a detailed statement, and sources said that detectives are now checking out the credibility of the details that he has given.

It has been established that the father and son knew Mr O'Brien and they became "persons of interest" in the case over a week ago and had been under surveillance before their arrests.

The younger man was arrested in Finglas at around 4am on Saturday while his dad was picked up a few hours later.

Mr O'Brien (33), originally from Ballyfermot in Dublin, was fatally shot once in the head before his dismembered torso was found in a suitcase in the Grand Canal at Ardclough in Co Kildare on January 16.

Additional body parts were later found in the canal near Sallins, Co Kildare.

He had lived in Clondalkin, west Dublin, with his partner and young child.

Gardai believed that the 33-year-old was shot dead within hours of leaving his Clondalkin home on Friday, January 15.

It is understood that the victim had been either laundering cash for a crime gang or providing them with money when a dispute broke out, which led to his death.

After being shot in the head, Mr O' Brien's killers used a chainsaw to cut up his body before it was scattered in different locations in bags in the Grand Canal.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News