Tuesday 19 March 2019

Gardai plead for teens to tell what led to Cameron's killing

The scene where the body of teenager Cameron Reilly was discovered on Saturday
The scene where the body of teenager Cameron Reilly was discovered on Saturday

Gardai are investigating if a young person known to Cameron Reilly strangled the teenager in front of a number of youths.

The body of Cameron (18) was found in the town of Dunleer, Co Louth, at around 8.30am on Saturday.

The teenager had been socialising with up to 20 young people in a field near the Rivervale area in the hours before his killing.

A senior source last night said that gardai are appealing for the people who were with Cameron before his death to come forward.

"At this stage it appears that a row occurred which led to his death, but the motive has not yet been established," the source told the Herald.

"Gardai believe that a number of people may have been present when Cameron was murdered, and would urge them to come forward."

Gardai are investigating if he was killed by a person known to him, and are probing who may have been present when the killing happened.


No arrests have yet been made, but gardai have spoken to several of Cameron's friends to gather information on his movements prior to his killing.

A missing mobile phone, which belonged to Cameron, is also being searched for and may prove crucial to the investigation.

Last night, gardai appealed for people in the area to check their bins, due to the possibility that the device may have been dumped by the killer.

"We are particularly appealing for assistance from the public to locate Cameron's phone, an Apple iPhone 8X (64GB) with a green hard back cover, space grey in colour," Inspector John O'Flaherty said.

"We would ask home and business owners in Dunleer to check their property, including wheelie bins and waste skips. We would also ask anyone offered a phone for sale as described to contact us."

In a heartbreaking Facebook post, Cameron's mother, Tracy Glass, thanked the local community of Dunleer, while paying tribute to her son.

"Thank you to each and every one of you our hearts are broken in a million pieces. My beautiful son love you to the moon and back," Ms Glass said.

A post-mortem examination, carried out by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Linda Mulligan, confirmed that young Cameron died in "violent circumstances". A source told the Herald that the cause of death has been established as strangulation.

CCTV footage from a local takeaway, not far from where his body was discovered, shows the last known movements of the young man.

Cameron was in Enzo's takeaway and pizzeria in the town of Dunleer at around 12.30am on Saturday.

"He was in here with a group of friends, young men and women around his own age, but everything seemed normal," said a staff member.


"Cameron would be in here quite often with his friends. He was a quiet type of guy and never any trouble. It's hard to believe what happened.

"We were all shocked when the gardai came in to take away the CCTV footage."

It is believed Cameron walked in the direction of his grandparents' house in the Beechwood estate, just off the Ardee Road, but he never arrived there.

The field where the Dundalk Institute of Technology student's body was found is beyond the entrance to the estate where his grandparents live.

Local parish priest Fr Michael Murtagh said he had known Cameron for 12 years through national school and secondary school.

"Because he lived locally, I would have met him almost daily in the park," Fr Murtagh told the Herald.

"He was a very shy, quiet, respectful kid, always out playing with lots of friends.

"His family are very quiet, and are a family who set very high standards for themselves, and Cameron is not the kind of young man who you would expect to get into any trouble," he added.

"He would be in the green area between where I live and the church.

"He would greet you, smile at you with a very shy kind of smile.

"He was a delightful kid to meet and to watch growing up."

A bouquet of flowers was left at the gates of the Glen Dimplex factory close to the field where Cameron's body was discovered.

A garda forensic team began working in a cordoned-off area of the field between a number of housing estates and several factories.

Members of the divisional search team have also been requested to assist the investigation team, in the hope of uncovering further evidence in the bushes and ground near the murder scene.

A vigil will take place in the Dunleer area tonight at 8pm, in memory of the teenager.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News