herald

Wednesday 25 April 2018

Gardai issue fresh appeal over horror sex attack on mum by up to three men

Gardai at the scene of the shocking incident in Clondalkin. Photo: Gerry Mooney
Gardai at the scene of the shocking incident in Clondalkin. Photo: Gerry Mooney
Forensic officers gather evidence. Photo: Gerry Mooney

Gardai have revealed that a woman who was savagely raped in west Dublin last year is "receiving ongoing support", as they made a fresh appeal for information about the brutal unsolved crime.

The Dublin mum was attacked as she was walking with her bike in Clondalkin in the early hours of the morning.

This vicious attack happened just after 3am on Thursday, July 28, 2016.

Up to three men dragged the woman into a secluded area off the Lucan Newlands Road in the direction of the Fonthill Road.

The following day, two local men aged in their 20s were arrested but were later released without charge. A third man was later interviewed by investigating gardai.

"She was attacked and dragged into a secluded area, where she was subjected to a violent sexual assault," a garda spokesman said.

Attack

"There were three men involved in this attack. The incident lasted up to 15 minutes.

"It is likely that the males involved were in the area for some time beforehand.

"Crimestoppers and gardai are keen to hear from anyone who was in the area between 1am and 3.30 am on July 28, 2016.

"They also want to hear from individuals who may have any information in relation to the incident," he added.

The investigation into the shocking sexual assault is being led by Detective Inspector Mark O'Neill of Lucan Garda Station.

Det Insp O'Neill told the Herald that the victim is still "receiving ongoing support".

"She is in a better place now than she was after this happened and a garda victim liaison officer has been in contact with her," he said.

The senior detective refused to specifically confirm that gardai have used the DNA database in an attempt to crack the sickening crime.

However, he said that "every investigative opportunity has been looked at, but there has not yet been sufficient evidence to get charges".

"We have followed numerous lines of enquiry and we want the public to know that this is still an active investigation that remains unsolved," Det Insp O'Neill told the Herald.

"Almost 18 months on, we are appealing for anyone who may have seen or heard anything to contact us.

"We are appealing to the public to come forward with any information on who they saw in the area around Lucan Newlands Road in the early morning of Thursday, July 28, 2016.

Suspicious

"Did anyone see the three males or see any suspicious activity in the area on that night?

"The local community was very helpful to our investigation when this crime was first reported. We are now asking people to come forward with any information at all they have.

"Even the smallest piece of information, which may seem insignificant, might help with the investigation.

"If a member of the public prefers to give the information without identifying themselves, they can call Crimestoppers on 1800 250025."

Calls to Crimestoppers are completely anonymous and callers can claim a reward for information which helps the investigation.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News