Monday 21 May 2018

Gardai find €80k of drugs as search ends with no trace of Trevor

The search site in Chapelizod
The search site in Chapelizod

Gardai found a stash of hard drugs worth over €80k in their search for missing man Trevor Deely, it emerged last night.

The intriguing discovery marks the end of an unsuccessful five-week dig for Trevor, which concluded last night.

The haul of heroin and cocaine was discovered weeks after a handgun was also found at the site in Chapelizod.

Neither seizure is believed to be linked to the suspected murder of Trevor.

Sources said last night that both investigating gardai and Trevor's heartbroken family had been left bitterly disappointed that no trace of him had been found after more than a month of extensive searching.


The drugs and gun seizures have led gardai to believe that the site has been used as a "stash area" by gangland criminals.

"Sure you could go digging up any waste ground in Dublin and end up finding these items," a senior source said last night.

"Some fella who is either dead or locked up may have discarded the stuff."

There is also no evidence linking the drugs to the handgun which was recovered in the early days of the search.

At the site yesterday there was evidence of the meticulous and painstaking work that has been done since the search began.

Trevor Deely who disappeared in December 2000
Trevor Deely who disappeared in December 2000

Large sections of the overgrown landscape have been cleared of vegetation so that surveying and excavation could be carried out.

While many trees remain standing, most of the lower- lying vegetation has been cleared away to expose the bare earth underneath.

Black waterproof sheeting was placed on the gates and railings to stop people peering into the search site, while CCTV cameras monitored the gates and perimeter.

A low-loader was seen outside, possibly there to collect a digger that was manoeuvring just inside the main gates.


A lorry then arrived to collect a number of bins from within the site.

The search ended last night with the mystery of Trevor's disappearance no closer to being solved. However, officers said they would continue their probe.

Trevor, a Bank of Ireland worker, was last seen in the early hours of December 8, 2000, in the Haddington Road area of the city centre.

The last known images of him were captured by a CCTV camera at the junction of Haddington Road and Baggot Street at 4.14am.

A man dressed in black, who gardai believe also spoke to Trevor outside his place of work minutes previously, can be seen following him in the direction of Haddington Road.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News