herald

Tuesday 19 June 2018

Gardai door-to-door probe into murdered man's movements

Assault victim Ioan Arten Bob
Assault victim Ioan Arten Bob

Gardai probing the murder of a father in his 40s in Tallaght last week are trying to establish why the man was in the area at the time.

Ioan Arten Bob (49) died from head and chest injuries after what gardai believe was an assault.

No motive has been established for the attack and it is unclear if any weapons were used.

The victim was found with serious injuries in Sean Walsh Park at 8.30am on Friday.

Mr Bob had been working in Ireland in the construction sector and is understood to have been working on a site in Carrickmines recently.

He is understood to have an eight-year-old child who lives in Romania.

Gardai don't know where the man was living in Ireland and are appealing to the Romanian community for information.

Information

Door-to-door enquiries were being conducted in the Springfield area of Tallaght over the weekend in a bid to establish more information on the victim.

A garda spokesman said: "The last confirmed sighting of Ioan was at 8.30pm on Thursday, April 12, 2018, in the Moore Street area.

"He was discovered injured in Sean Walsh Park in Tallaght at 8.30am on Friday, April 13, and he died later at Tallaght Hospital," he added.

Local councillor for the Tallaght area, Charlie O'Connor, said the community was in shock at the discovery of the body in a park which is one of the main amenities in the area.

"Murder is a dreadful thing and [especially] to happen in a park, a key amenity in Tallaght," he said.

Mr O'Connor said his sympathies were with the man's family, and called for anyone with information to come forward.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News