The net is closing on the chief suspect in the vicious attack on a woman in Ballymount Park, west Dublin, a month ago, the Herald can reveal.
Officers have received information that the suspect is based in the Tallaght area and is a national from a former Yugoslav republic. A source said: "Gardai are confident this case will be concluded successfully. Great help has been received from the public and the victim has also been able to provide detailed assistance."
The 27-year-old mother-of-one was attacked while out jogging in the park on May 30.
She was approached by a man who tried to drag her into an area away from public view. After a struggle, the attacker ran away towards the M50.
The woman managed to raise the alarm and was taken to Tallaght hospital. She was discharged a short time later.
Her attacker is described as being about 30 and of average height and build. He has short dark hair and was wearing a short black leather jacket.
The woman suffered serious facial injuries but she has made a "very good recovery", say sources.
Up to 20 detectives from Clondalkin Garda Station have been working on the case and gardai have used a specialised computer system, known as VICLAS, to determine if the May 30 attack was linked to other similar crimes.
VICLAS, the Violent Crime Linkage Analysis System, is a computer system developed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in the early 1990s to compare different crimes for similarities. Detectives have provided information to specialist officers in Harcourt Square Garda Station, who inputted the data into VICLAS.
This showed that the Ballymount attack could be linked to another in Cork earlier this year.
The victim's sister said after the attack that she was "lucky to be alive".
"Luckily, she is okay. Looking back on it, she was 99pc dead. His intentions were to kill her.
"The next girl that he approaches and does what he wants to do in his sick mind won't be so lucky."