| 18.1°C Dublin

Gardai arrest taxi driver over 'hit-and-run' on young mum


Siobhan Geraghty

Siobhan Geraghty

Siobhan Geraghty

Gardai investigating an apparent hit-and-run incident which left a young mother fighting for her life have arrested a taxi man in relation to the incident.

Siobhan Geraghty (35) was seriously injured in what gardai are treating as a hit-and-run.

Investigating officers from Blanchardstown Garda Station arrested a man aged in his 40s in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Sources have revealed that the individual was detained while driving his taxi in the Baggot Street area of Dublin city centre.

"An alert was issued to staff working in that particular area of the city, by gardai, with a description of the individual, his taxi licence as well as his registration number distributed.

"His vehicle was spotted by security staff at a premises who immediately contacted gardai," a source said.


Gardai also obtained CCTV footage from the Harcourt Street area where Siobhan hailed a taxi, as well as an ATM where she stopped to take out money.

The taxi driver was taken to Blanchardstown Garda Station where officers were last night continuing to question him in relation to the incident last Sunday morning.

Ms Geraghty took a taxi to her home at the Lohunda Dale estate in Clonsilla from Harcourt Street at around 3.40am. However, the primary school teacher never made it home and was discovered lying unconscious by the road in the Lohunda area.

The road where Siobhan was found is a quiet road within an estate, and there would not have been any traffic at that time.

Neighbours reported hearing "a thud" and then a car speeding from the scene.

They discovered her lying unconscious on the road. She was rushed to Connolly Hospital and later transferred to Beaumont Hospital, where she remains in a serious condition.

However, it is believed that her injuries have not deteriorated in recent days and she currently remains stable.

Siobhan's brother Senan previously told the Herald in the wake of the incident that she had to undergo emergency surgery.

"Siobhan has had surgery to reduce the swelling and pressure on her brain, and the doctors said the first 48 hours are critical.

"She had three separate injuries to her head and the one causing the most concern was at the back of her skull," he said.

"It's hard to look at her now but if the doctors didn't operate, her injuries could have been fatal.

"There was no lamp glass or anything on the road where Siobhan was found, but gardaĆ­ know the chances are she was run over by a car because her phone and belongings were scattered across the road and an aerosol can in her bag had been squashed."

A garda spokesman said that investigating detectives are continuing to appeal for anyone with information in relation to the incident to contact them at Blanchardstown Garda Station.