Garda death probe told of brutal attack
THE chief suspect for a brutal assault on a retired garda who died on Thursday afternoon in Dublin has provided a full statement to detectives.
The suspect has provided details about last weekend's violent incident at a west Dublin house.
A major investigation is taking place into the death of former Garda Jamus Marren (54) who previously served at Cabra, Clontarf, Bridewell and Monaghan town Garda Stations before his retirement two years ago.
The Herald has learned that Mr Marren was savagely assaulted in a house in Clonsilla last Saturday and suffered a broken leg as well as serious head injuries.
He was rushed to hospital and medics placed staples in his head to stem the blood flow.
Mr Marren was discharged from hospital on Sunday.
However, he passed away on Thursday.
He was attacked twice in two serious incidents in the sitting room and hallway of the house after an argument developed over long standing issues, sources have told the Herald.
A 24-year-old man who is well known to Mr Marren was questioned for a number of hours by gardai at Blanchardstown Garda Station on Thursday evening.
He spoke to detectives voluntarily and was not arrested. The west Dublin man is not known to gardai for any involvement in crime.
The deceased former garda was admitted to Connolly Hospital on Saturday, but was discharged on Sunday, but he continued to feel unwell and had been bed bound all week.
He fell into an unconscious state at around 3pm on Thursday. The emergency services were called, but he was pronounced dead by the time he got to hospital.
Deputy State pathologist Dr Khalid Jaber was still conducting a post mortem on Mr Marren's body last night, with gardai stressing that the results of the examination would decide what direction their investigation would take.
A source explained: "At the moment this is being treated as a suspicious death but that could be very much upgraded depending on the results of the post mortem."