Friday 14 December 2018

Gangland target has toddler in his arms as gunmen unleashed fatal hail of bullets

Gardai at the scene in Ballymun
Gardai at the scene in Ballymun

A toddler had a miracle escape during a brutal double gangland murder in which a mother-of-six and a man were shot dead.

Antoinette Corbally-Devoy (48) and a man in his 30s were gunned down by two gun-wielding thugs at her family home in Balbutcher Drive, Ballymun, yesterday afternoon.

The Herald can reveal that up to 20 shots were fired during the shocking killings and detectives have not yet been able to establish the identity of the dead man.

It has emerged that the intended target of the attack was Derek 'Bottler' Devoy (37), who managed to escape uninjured. He is the brother of murdered Antoinette.

It can also be revealed that Devoy was holding a toddler in his arms when the two thugs approached him and opened fire.


Devoy's brother, Michael 'Mad Mickey' (41), was shot dead by the Kinahan cartel in January 2014.

Detectives yesterday interviewed 'Bottler' about the double murder.

Devoy threw the young child out of his arms and fled through the rear of the house, jumping over a back wall.

The toddler received a minor bump to its head as a result but was not seriously injured.

The fatally injured man had arrived at the property just moments before the shooting. He was shot in the head as he sat in a vehicle.

Intended target Derek Devoy
Intended target Derek Devoy

As the gunmen indiscriminately opened fire at the property, Antoinette Corbally-Devoy was hit and fatally wounded.

Two other people, Brian Moran (52) and Andrea Corbally-Devoy (18), were injured.

Mr Moran suffered a gunshot wound to his leg while Ms Corbally-Devoy was grazed by a stray bullet.

They were being treated at the Mater Hospital last night.

The killers, who used a sub-machine gun and a handgun, then jumped into a silver Opel Zafira which they attempted - but failed - to set on fire.

They then ran to a waiting Volkswagen Golf GTi and fled the area, before partially torching the vehicle in the Santry Close area.

Forensics examine bullet holes in a patio door
Forensics examine bullet holes in a patio door

Emergency services rushed to the scene and armed gardai flooded the area.

Paramedics worked on the man who died on the ground outside the house while Mr Moran and Andrea Corbally-Devoy were rushed to hospital.

Investigating detectives believe that the brutal double murder is linked to a bitter drug dispute in the area which has led to several shootings and pipe bomb incidents.

Earlier this year three teenagers were injured in a gun attack believed to be linked to the feud.

Another man survived an attempt on his life earlier this year as part of the feud.

"This feud has been ongoing for the last year and there was always a fear this would escalate," a source said last night.


"However, the killing of two people in broad daylight could not be foreseen and is a seriously concerning development."

A garda case conference was held at Ballymun Garda Station involving senior investigators.

Carmel Byrne, a grandmother who lives in the area, described how she tried in vain to save one of the victims.

"She was in the hall when I got there," she told the Herald.

"I told everybody to 'get the f**k out' in case he was going to come back.

"The chap was in the car. I kept the pressure on, I kept him alive. He was alone in the car, in the driver seat.

"He had a pulse when I was with him but it was only a faint pulse. There was a lot of blood.

"There was another fellow begging me to keep him going."

Speaking at Ballymun Garda Station, Chief Superintendent Lorraine Wheatley said: "We are appealing for information in relation to a shooting in Balbutcher Drive.

"Four people were injured, two fatally. An incident room has been set up at Ballymun Garda Station and the technical bureau are at the scene.


"I'm appealing to the community if they have any information to come forward."

Two vehicles have been recovered including a silver Opel Zafira on Balbutcher Drive with a registration number 08 LS 3101.

A Golf GTi 06, registration LH 3466, was also found partially burnt out at Santry Close in the aftermath of the shooting.

Chief Supt Wheatley confirmed that a firearm believed to have been used in the shooting was also recovered.

Commenting on the victims, she said the fatally wounded woman was a mother to six children.

A child also suffered minor injuries but these were not gunshot injuries.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News