Friday 19 July 2019

Gaddafi on the brink despite show of force

LIBYA: Leader's bizarre TV plea

Deep rifts have opened in Muammar Gaddafi's regime, with Libyan government officials at home and abroad resigning, air force pilots defecting and a bloody crackdown on protest in the capital of Tripoli, where cars and buildings were burned.

Mr Gaddafi went on state TV to attempt to show he was still in charge.

World leaders expressed outrage at the "vicious forms of repression" used against the demonstrators.

The longest-serving Arab leader appeared briefly on TV to dispel rumours that he had fled.

Sitting in a car in front of what appeared to be his residence and holding an umbrella out of the passenger side door, he told an interviewer that he had wanted to go to the capital's Green Square to talk to his supporters, but the rain stopped him.


"I am here to show that I am in Tripoli and not in Venezuela. Don't believe those misleading dog stations," Mr Gaddafi said, referring to the media reports that he had left the country.

The video clip and comments lasted less than a minute -- unusual for the mercurial leader, who is known for rambling speeches that often last hours.

Pro-Gaddafi militia drove through Tripoli with loudspeakers and told people not to leave their homes, witnesses said, as security forces sought to keep the unrest that swept eastern parts of the country -- leaving the second-largest city of Benghazi in protesters' control -- from overwhelming the capital of two million people.

State TV said the military had "stormed the hideouts of saboteurs" and urged the public to back security forces.

Protesters called for a demonstration in Tripoli's central Green Square and in front of Mr Gaddafi's residence, but witnesses in various neighbourhoods described a scene of intimidation: helicopters hovering above the main seaside boulevard and pro-Gaddafi gunmen firing from moving cars and shooting at the facades of homes to terrify the population.

Youths trying to gather in the streets scattered and ran for cover amid gunfire, according to several witnesses.

They said people wept over bodies of the dead left in the street.

Warplanes swooped low over Tripoli in the evening and snipers took up position on roofs, apparently to stop people outside the capital from joining protests, according to Mohammed Abdul-Malek, a London-based opposition activist in touch with residents.

Mr Gaddafi appeared to have lost the support of at least one major tribe, several military units and his own diplomats, including Libya's ambassador in Washington, Ali Adjali.


Deputy UN Ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi accused the longest-serving Arab leader of committing genocide against his own people.

The eruption of turmoil in the capital after seven days of protests and bloody clashes in Libya's left at least 233 dead.

Gaddafi's ecurity forces have unleashed the bloodiest crackdown of any Arab country against the wave of protests sweeping the region, which toppled leaders of Egypt and Tunisia.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News