Tuesday 12 December 2017

GAA red-faced as €200k Hawk-Eye 'misses' the point

Croke Park spectators were stunned when a miss was called by Hawk-Eye. Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE
Croke Park spectators were stunned when a miss was called by Hawk-Eye. Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE

THE computer showed 'yes' but said 'no'.

GAA chiefs were red-faced after the much-heralded Hawk-Eye had to be suspended at Croke Park yesterday.

But their embarrassment was nothing compared to the rage felt by Limerick, who seem to have had a legitimate point ruled out in the All Ireland minor hurling semi-final.

Their game ended in a draw but Galway went on to win by two points in extra time.

The controversy arose when referee Fergal Horgan was unsure about a first-minute point attempt by Barry Nash.

He referred the score to the point detection system, which appeared to show that the sliotar glided inside the post – then fans were shocked to see 'miss' flash up on the big screens.

As a result the referee waved the ball wide.

The GAA is using Hawk-Eye on a trial basis in Croke Park with a view to rolling it out around the country.

It is thought to have cost the GAA in the region of €200,000, although the actual figure has never been confirmed.

Ironically, its introduction allowed the GAA to secure a sponsorship with Specsavers.



Until yesterday, Hawk-Eye had been praised as a positive development in the game.

But following the technical blunder, officials decided not to rely on it for the senior game between Limerick and Clare.

In a brief statement the GAA said that the mistake was the result of "an inconsistency in the generation of a graphic".

A full review of the technology, in conjunction with Hawk-Eye, began last night and its findings will be examined by the GAA today.

"It is expected that Hawk-Eye will be in full working order for next Sunday's minor and senior football semi-finals," the GAA said.

Limerick's manager Brian Ryan last night ruled out looking for a replay.

"We move on. These matches aren't going to be replayed," he said.

Calls for the introduction of Hawk-Eye were made after a number of controversial incidents in the 2010 championship.

The Leinster football final between Louth and Meath was one such, when a controversial goal by Meath snatched victory in the dying minutes of the game.

In 2010, a High Court judge ruled that a Louth fan and pensioner could not bring a challenge over the controversial goal.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News