Wednesday 25 April 2018

Frenchman struck by car loses his fight for life two weeks after horror crash

The scene of the crash at Adelaide Road
The scene of the crash at Adelaide Road

A young Frenchman who was seriously injured when a car struck a group of pedestrians on a Dublin pavement has died in hospital.

A woman driving a Saab convertible struck four young men when she lost control on Adelaide Road at 6.15pm on August 22.

Benjamin Renard (24), who had been working in Dublin for three years, died of his injuries in Beaumont Hospital in Dublin yesterday.

He was rushed to St James's Hospital and later transferred to Beaumont Hospital for treatment for head injuries.

Family members travelled from France and had kept a vigil at Mr Renard's bedside.

He worked as an account manager at LinkedIn on Dublin's southside.


Mr Renard had studied at Dublin City University until 2014 when he was awarded a BA in global business, marketing and sales having previously earned a BSc degree in France.

There were glowing tributes from friends and colleagues on social media last night.

LinkedIn Ireland head Sharon McCooey said: "After a brave fight, Benjamin has sadly passed away.

"We are doing all that we can to support his family and friends during this most difficult of times."

LinkedIn account manager Benjamin Renard (24)
LinkedIn account manager Benjamin Renard (24)

Mr Renard had worked annually on a telethon for the past seven years, helping to raise money for a muscular dystrophy charity.

The silver convertible flipped over on to its side after the crash near the junction of Adelaide Road and Harcourt Road.

The driver and one of the pedestrians were taken by ambulance to St Vincent's Hospital.

Another of the casualties was taken to St James's Hospital while a fourth young man was taken to Tallaght Hospital for treatment.

In the aftermath of the crash, the Saab was left on its side, with smashed windows and damage to the front.


Several emergency services vehicles rushed to the scene and witnesses told how at least one of the men was treated by paramedics.

One witness said: "There were bits of the car all over the road and there were at least three fire engines and two ambulances from what I saw."

A Dublin Fire Brigade spokesman said four fire tenders and three of the service's ambulances attended the crash scene.

Two ambulances from the National Ambulance Service were also dispatched.

Gardai appealed for witnesses to contact Pearse Street Garda Station or any garda station.

Adelaide Road was sealed off from Earlsfort Terrace to Harcourt Road after the crash so that Garda forensic collision investigators could examine the scene.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News