herald

Tuesday 19 June 2018

Fire-hit families left homeless to be put up in hotel for week

Fire damage to the Metro
Fire damage to the Metro

Emergency accommodation has been extended for former residents of the Metro Hotel complex in Ballymun after a major fire caused devastation last month.

More than 60 firefighters from eight crews battled the blaze near Dublin Airport which broke out on March 21.

Independent Dublin councillor Noeleen Reilly told Drivetime on RTE Radio 1 that emergency accommodation had been secured for the next week for the former residents of the 21 private apartments at the Metro.

"The families received emergency accommodation that the Metro would have paid for," she said.

"There were also two payments. One payment was of €2,000 if all your belongings were gone out of the apartment or €1,000 if you were able to retrieve your belongings. That's all they received."

Cllr Reilly said the families were still in shock.

"They're still traumatised. They don't know where they'll be this day next week," she added.

"In the last hour, we have secured emergency accommodation for the next week for them in the Travelodge in Ballymun, so that's something.

"Dublin City Council is supporting them there, which is great."

The Ballymun representative said the council needed to come up with a strategy and fast track the HAP payment for the families.

Families have been offered student accommodation next door to where they have been living, but Cllr Reilly said it was not suitable.

In a statement, Dublin City Council said that it was working with the families affected by the Metro fire.

Difficult

"Today, a number of families presented to our homeless central placement centre at Park Gate Hall," the statement said.

"Due to the extenuating and difficult circumstances that these families have found themselves in, we will in the interim be providing emergency accommodation for all of those who presented today, pending assessment of their homeless applications."

On its website, the Metro Hotel says support had been put in place for residents.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News