herald

Wednesday 15 August 2018

Fighting for life ... mum who became hooked on head shop drugs

A mum who became hooked on banned head shop drugs is fighting for her life in hospital.

Dubliner Samantha Murray (37) started taking the artificial cocaine because she was trying to get off hard drugs.

Her brother, who does not want to be named, said: "Head shop drugs are what landed her is hospital.

"Samantha was trying her best to come off drugs over the past couple of years, and it's only really been in the past two years that she finally managed to clean herself up.

"She took the head shop drugs thinking they'd be harmless compared to other drugs that she's taken. But she made a big mistake because she got herself hooked on them, and it's those drugs that have almost killed her."

Speaking from her bed in St James's hospital, where she has been for the past six weeks, Samantha said: "I took methedrone because it was the closest one to cocaine, and Salvia, Amplifier and Snow-Blow."

Samantha, who has an 18-year-old daughter, injected the substances that she said can still be bought from dealers on O'Connell Street.

She experienced psychiatric problems first. "It felt like I had motorbikes in the back of my head. I was out of my mind for three days straight."

She has since suffered stomach and liver problems and doctors say her heart has been poisoned.

Her swollen stomach has had to be stitched and stapled and her liver is virtually destroyed.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News