FF sack O Cuiv from front bench over Northern candidate
Fianna Fail's Eamon O Cuiv was sensationally sacked from the front bench over his involvement in unveiling an election candidate in the North without party permission.
On Wednesday, Kerry Senator Mark Daly was stripped of his title as Fianna Fail's deputy leader in the Seanad for his role in the event. Mr Daly also lost his title of Fianna Fail's Seanad spokesperson on Foreign Affairs.
Mr Daly and Mr O Cuiv used an event in Tyrone to unveil former Sinn Fein councillor Sorcha McAnespy as the party's first election candidate in the North.
Soon after the unveiling, Fianna Fail issued a statement saying no decision had been made to put forward candidates for next year's local elections.
In a statement last night, Fianna Fail said: "Party Leader Micheal Martin met last evening with Deputy Eamon O Cuiv.
"During the course of that meeting Deputy O Cuiv made it clear that he was aware in advance of plans to hold an unauthorised launch of a candidate and agreed to participate.
"In light of this information, regretfully, Deputy O Cuiv's continued membership of the party's front bench is no longer tenable. His portfolio responsibilities will be reassigned," it added.
Mr O Cuiv, whose grandfather Eamon De Valera was a founding member of Fianna Fail, has been a TD since 1992.
He held a number of ministries during his long career as a Fianna Fail TD.
In comment posted in Irish on Twitter, Mr O Cuiv said he accepts it is Mr Martin's decision to choose who is on the Fianna Fail frontbench.