| 18.1°C Dublin

Feud murder suspect takes ill while in garda custody


Murder victim Gareth Hutch

Murder victim Gareth Hutch

Murder victim Gareth Hutch

One of the chief suspects for the murder of Gareth Hutch has been hospitalised after taking ill while in garda custody.

Gardai believe the individual was one of the gunmen who blasted the 35-year-old to death at the Avondale flat complex in Dublin's north inner city last week.

Just hours after the murder, the 29-year-old handed himself into gardai, but has maintained that he had nothing to do with the killing.

It has now emerged that the suspect was rushed to hospital over the weekend after swallowing an object while in custody.

A source said that he was discovered "in obvious pain" after suffering suspected internal injuries from swallowing the implement.

He was brought to the Mater Hospital - which is located directly opposite the garda station - on Saturday afternoon and was treated by medical professionals.


However, despite previous concerns over his injuries, he was discharged yesterday morning and continues to be in garda custody.

He is currently being detained under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act, and can be held for a period of up to seven days.

The Herald previously revealed how the chief suspect handed himself in to investigating detectives after being urged to by his mother.

Another two women are still being questioned by gardai in relation to the killing.

One of the women is suspected of providing crucial logistical support to the two gunmen who murdered Gareth Hutch.

The other woman being questioned is in a relationship with the second gunman, who is currently on the run after fleeing to the north. Gardai do not believe this female had any involvement in the murder.

The funeral of Gareth Hutch, who is a nephew of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch, is expected to take place later this week.

Independent councillor Nial Ring, who had met with Gareth Hutch the day before he was shot dead, said his family could get "some form of closure" with a funeral service.

"From the time the coroner finishes the post mortem, he or she has to keep the body for five days so it looks at being the middle of the week," Mr Ring said.

"At least if they could have the funeral there would be some form of closure, but with that hanging over them it is terrible.

"Not only have they this bereavement but they also have this threat hanging over anyone with the name [Hutch].

"The majority of them aren't [involved in any criminality].

"[Chief Supt] Pat Leahy is absolutely confident and determined. He said: 'We will catch these people and bring them to justice. I am not having this on the streets of Dublin'. That is exactly what you want to hear," Mr Ring added.