Fears council may cancel two Garth concerts
THERE are fears that Dublin City Council chiefs are considering approving just three of the five Garth Brooks' concerts at Croke Park.
The decision on the licensing of the five Garth Brooks' gigs is expected to be announced today.
Dublin City Council's CEO Owen Keegan spent yesterday holding high-level talks with staff in the planning office.
But sources told the Herald that DCC chiefs are considering the possibility of just three gigs in Croke Park.
There was speculation that the concerts could be moved to another location, such as the Aviva or the RDS.
However, sources said last night that such a move would be logistically impossible.
As late as yesterday evening "various opinions" were being asked for.
"It was either none, three or five," a source told the Herald.
The granting of three concerts only was put forward as the "most favourable" of three options.
"It looks like they will grant the licence for three of the five gigs at Croke Park," said a council source.
"They (the council chiefs) want to cut it back to three, but I don't know how they will rearrange the other two gigs with hotel beds and flights."
On Tuesday night the local residents of Croke Park held a meeting to discuss their options after a five-month row over the amount of concerts.
Last Friday, Labour Relations Commission boss, Kieran Mulvey, who had been appointed to mediate between Croke Park locals and the GAA, issued his recommendations, including a one-off legacy payment of €500,000 to the community.
Local residents said they would wait for the DCC decision before responding.
The dispute over staging the concerts has rumbled on since they were announced.