| 21.7°C Dublin

Family of tragic Frankie appeal for help in catching his killer


The body of ‘Frankie’ Dunne was found on December 28

The body of ‘Frankie’ Dunne was found on December 28

The body of ‘Frankie’ Dunne was found on December 28

The daughter of a homeless man who was murdered and then decapitated has pleaded for people to assist gardai in bringing his brutal killer to justice.

Francis 'Frankie' Dunne (64) was found in the garden of a derelict Cork house on December 28 with his head and both his arms severed.

The garda investigation into Mr Dunne's brutal murder is now expected to involve both Europol and Interpol as it emerged a person of interest to detectives left Ireland in the 24 hours after the killing.

Now, Mr Dunne's daughter, Catherine, urged the killer to surrender themselves to gardai.

"It is hard to accept the death of a loved one, especially when we did not get to say goodbye," she said. "My dad was taken so suddenly and so shockingly."

"The grief and pain is unbearable - I hope the person responsible is caught and justice is served for such a horrific crime.


"As a family we are absolutely heartbroken - it is like a bad nightmare that never ends.

"Thank you for all the continuous love and support. I hope my dad is at peace now."

Mr Dunne's partially dismembered body was found in the garden of a derelict house on Cork's Boreenmanna Road.

He had been subjected to a savage beating.

His body had been decapitated and both his arms had been severed, with the body parts later found in the garden.

More than 50 gardai are now involved in the investigation into one of the most brutal murders ever witnessed in Cork.

Gardai are trying to trace an Eastern European national who left Cork within 24 hours of Mr Dunne's body being found and who, CCTV camera footage has indicated, may have met the homeless man the day before his death.

Gardai contacted the man's former employer in a bid to trace him.

Analysis of the man's mobile phone indicated he had travelled to Belfast on December 28/29.

Subsequent analysis of the phone revealed he travelled onwards to Edinburgh.

It is believed he then left Scotland to return to his native Eastern Europe.

The individual may also be linked to a €1,000 theft in Cork on December 28.